Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting on a budget...... >

Quilting on a budget......

Quilting on a budget......

Old 02-03-2016, 06:34 PM

Default Quilting on a budget......

I am new to quilting and really enjoy it. Today I went to the quilt shop (closest is 65 miles away) to buy backing and binding for a twin size quilt. I was surprised to find all the fabric was $10.99 and up. It's been years since I have bought new fabric I had no idea that it was so expensive. I'm afraid that I won't be able to continue to quilt because of the price of fabric. Can you help me with suggestions on how to quilt economically. How about the prices online are they as expensive? I live in a rural area and have to drive to get to any store that sells fabric. How about Hobby Lobby and Joanns's is their fabric ok to quilt with?
Old 02-03-2016, 06:46 PM

I buy some quilt store fabric. (When the budget permits.) I quilt and sew predominantly with JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby and Wal-mart too. And, those quilts hold up just fine. Wal-mart is now carrying a line of Waverly fabrics and it's between 2.97 and 3.97 a yard. They have solids, tonals and fun prints. I buy JoAnn Fabrics when they are 40 or 50 percent off. Or, with a coupon. Yes, the quilt store fabric does have a nice touch and quality. But, I can't make a whole quilt out of it. Usually, I buy fat quarters or 1/2 yard cuts of those. And, I save up for them. Also, check out connectingthreads.com. I buy their cotton thread and they have great regular prices and sale prices all the time. I have personal experience with their fabric and like them.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:15 PM

thrift shops! i always check church sales -- it's great when you can get a whole bag full of fabric for a dollar or two!
[i recycle clothing into quilts -- especially denim! & there's always plenty of that at sales]
Old 02-03-2016, 07:15 PM

Joann's fabric is fine for quilting. They have sales and coupons all the time.you can use the coupons in store or on line. Fabric for a queen size quilt from a LQS can be $300 or more, that's a lot of money I don't know many people who can afford to make a lot of quilts at that price. I agree with Judith1005 the fabrics from the chain stores work fine. On line stores have prices ranging from a few dollars a yard to what the LQS charges, you just need to do searches and get on their email lists so they will let you know about sales.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:34 PM

try Marshallsdrygoods.com
Old 02-03-2016, 07:38 PM

Connecting Threads has a sale right now. Even regular is pretty reasonable.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:46 PM

Marshall Dry Goods in Batesville, AR is a good online source.
I talked to three different quilters who were shopping at WalMart, and they had good things to say about the Waverly fabric. When I went online and read different articles about Waverly fabric, I read that it is comparable to Kona Cotton. I bought an armload of it, took it home, serged the raw edges and put it through the washer and dryer on a normal cycle with hot water. Compared with the Kona Cotton I have, they appear the same.
When I am in a thrift store, I head straight for the place where they hang the fabric or have it rolled and tied into bundles. If you see polished cotton that has instructions on the selvage to dry clean only, ignore that and put it through the washer and dryer. That washes out the starch and sizing and what you have is soft cotton. Quilt Guilds will sometimes have sales of member's excess fabric or fabric that has been donated or willed to them. Bonnie K. Hunter of Quiltville.com fame has a book out on making quilts from thrift store men's shirts.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:01 PM
Power Poster

Quilting is an expensive hobby. I look for sale fabric when I can get it. You might also try what Bonnie Hunter does and use cotton shirt fabric. She has a great quilt site and even a video on how to " debone" a shirt. www.quiltville.com
Old 02-03-2016, 08:03 PM

I love to shop at www.thousandsofbolts.com in sale section. Brand names for $4.95 a yard.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:03 PM

There are several previous posts on this Board on this topic you may find helpful. Also check Thrift Stores for sheets, they make great quilt backs for just a couple of dollars! Batting can be purchased by the roll at Walmart.com very i expensively. Some have mentioned using old blankets and matress pads in place of batting too.