Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Interesting quilt programs for study club??? >

Interesting quilt programs for study club???

Interesting quilt programs for study club???

Old 02-06-2016, 02:25 PM

Default Interesting quilt programs for study club???

Hello all! I'd thought about doing a program covering the use of quilts in the Underground Railroad, but there are quite a few solid questions regarding the validity of this story. Now that I've asked that question (on an earlier posting) I'm remembering this isn't the first time this question has arisen...

Soooo, I would love some ideas about interesting quilt truths? some thoughts I've had include the Gee's Bend quilters (there is even a USPS stamp commemorating these quilters), or something about Batiks (how they're made?).... Clearly, I need help here!!! I'm going to give each member a small "sandwich" and let her try her hand at quilting... and I'm DEFINITELY going to tell them about the Quilt Board! But other than that, I'm struggling... Please help?!? and THANK YOU!!!
Old 02-06-2016, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

I think either Gee's Bend or batiks would be a great subject. Are you planning to do a slide show?

Is this a sewing type of study club?

For the hand quilting I would recommend choosing a very thin batting, probably polyester. JoAnn fabrics has some that are 1/4" thick. You would want to machine baste the layers together rather than using spray basting. I would probably cut out 14" squares of muslin (or however many you can cut across the width of the muslin) and batting for the sandwiches. You might want to pre-thread the needles and stick a threaded needle into each sandwich. You could demonstrate how to make a quilter's knot in the ends, but be prepared to knot the ends for those who will not be able to learn quickly from a single demonstration. Also, what about thimbles? Although there are a few quilters who do not use thimbles, most hand quilters do use a thimble. Thimbles come in different sizes (as do fingers!) so you might want to look for an inexpensive assortment. You probably don't want to bother with hoops.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

I always love hearing about the newest gadget or a new technique. Good Luck. We are having the same discussion in our senior group. I am probably going to be asked to do a truck show on my Bargello quilts. I am much better speaking on one on one basis than to a group.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:58 PM

For thimbles, I saw a post somewhere about a quilter who improvised when they forgot their thimble with several layers of painters tape.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:18 PM
Power Poster

If this is a non-quilting group, you might present a program on the different types of quilts - e.g. traditional pieced or applique, art quilts, folk art quilts, pictorial quilts, etc. - or about the different quilt patterns (log cabin, trip around the world, etc.). I know that when I started quilting I had no idea how many different forms of quilting existed, or how different quilts could be.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:31 PM

Just saw a video presentation on Gee's Bend at our local quilt guild meeting, very interesting history and quilting techniques! Definitely a worthy piece of history.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:05 PM

Thank you dear friends...these are all great suggestions! It is not a quilting group, just a wonderful set of ladies who always want to learn something new. I'll keep you posted on the program...it is not until the third week in March, so I have some time to prepare...
Thank you!!
Old 02-07-2016, 09:21 PM

I think the Queen's Quilt is a very interesting piece of Hawaiian history, this is from Whip-stitch.com:
In 1895, to save her kingdom from being torn apart, Queen Lili’uokalani signed over her authority to the US government. Subsequent to that event, she was imprisoned in her own bedroom in her palace–‘Iolani Palace–for ten months. Her closest companion stayed with her, voluntarily, throughout her confinement, leaving only on Sundays to see her family. During the time that she was under house arrest, Queen Lili’uokalani worked in crazy quilt style–the most popular quilting style of the day–and created much of the 97″ x 95″ “Queen’s Quilt” that is now on display in ‘Iolani Palace.