Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New sewing machine. >

New sewing machine.

New sewing machine.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

Default New sewing machine.

I ordered this one this morning from Amazon. Brother PC420PRW for my take to retreat machine. I'll post the pros and cons of it as soon as I find them out.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

Good Luck. Hope that you read the reviews on Amazon.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I like the Brother brand and am always interested in seeing what's being said, so I went on Amazon and read a lot of the reviews, which are overwhelmingly positive.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I ordered this one this morning from Amazon. Brother PC420PRW for my take to retreat machine. I'll post the pros and cons of it as soon as I find them out.
Looks like a good choice to me. After reading the reviews, I am guessing that you will enjoy it.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:38 PM

It is virtually identical to the NX-400 Pacesetter that I purchased in 2003 and was at the time, the upper middle of the Brother sewing only machines. It has been a reliable and strong performer and very much still in use today. It requires only minimal maintenance, a synthetic grease on gears every year or two depending on usage. The service manual is available and the process isn't difficult, but taking the outer shell off can be a bit intimidating the first time.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Not just on Amazon but the quilting blogs and Facebook groups. The only negative reviews were plain to see it was user error. Amazon has a great return policy just in case.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:56 PM

Looks like a great travel machine and I love the sale price.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:49 AM

I have this machine. Only one con, I wish I had tested it before I bought my Bernina 350. I would have saved a LOT of money.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:48 PM

I'm always apprehensive in buying a machine online but I tried buying a Brother XR3140 from Costco. It wasn't too much in cost so thought if it didn't work out I wasn't losing a whole lot of money. I have to admit though that I love this machine. True it doesn't have the automatic foot lift like my old Viking D1 has or automatic thread cutting but since I acquired it I haven't gone back to my D1. True I purchased this machine basically to set up onto my cutting table for when I need to add borders and binding on those huge quilts plus I'm standing up using this machine. But I find I'm enjoying this machine much more than I thought I ever would. I still use my D1 for apparel sewing so depending on what I'm interested in doing that particular day the machine is set up.

I have a Babylock too so can interchange the bobbins and feet with the Brother.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:20 PM

I have the Brother PC420. I bought it from Amazon 4 years ago and have done a lot of sewing on it. Including some upholstery. It has been a fantastic machine. I have put all kinds of thread through it. It is not picky about thread, though it does like to have it's bobbin case cleaned frequently. I've quilted large quilts on it and used all of the decorative stitches for my wall hangings. I also regularly use it to couch down various cords and other objects for my quilted pieces. It's an amazing machine at an amazing price.

Rob