Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hexagon ruler help *please* >

Hexagon ruler help *please*

Hexagon ruler help *please*

Old 02-25-2016, 05:30 PM

Default Hexagon ruler help *please*

received a keepsake kit today in the mail...calls for a hexagon cutting ruler...anyone have any ideas on this...i see a fons & porter also ez quilting brand....recommendations, suggestions???...open to any ideas...the center of the block is cut into strips, then recut into a 4.5" hexie, then strips added log cabin style...is not what if figured in the keepsake catalog...i thought i would be layering strips, then cutting down into 60 degree triangles, then reassembling...oh well...gonna try something new...spend too much $$ to put it in a drawer...but now i need to learn about these rulers...and where to get them...joanns didnt have...thanks in advance....
Old 02-25-2016, 05:54 PM

I think you need a Hex n More ruler by JayBird Quilts.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:02 PM

If it's the one in their catalog that I'm thinking about Kitty is correct that you want the JayBird Hex N More one. Do you still have the catalog? They usually list the needed rulers along with the quilt kit.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:20 PM

The only successful result will be with the hex ruler, the correct one.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

Is the kit Delight Quilt Kit?? I dislike it when I buy a pattern not able to read the instruction inside recommending a specialty ruler that you will only use once. I myself would try to find that large of a hex online, print it out making sure it is accurate and make a cardboard template. I would cut my fabric into square and the trace the lines for cutting. Good Luck. Very neat pattern:
http://www.ribboncandyquiltcompany.c...t-x2454495.htm
Old 02-26-2016, 06:29 AM

I folded my fabric in a half and used my triangle ruler. Found it easier then using the hex and more ruler. If you need help send me a private message.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:34 AM

..or put a call into keepsake and talk to customer service....
Old 02-26-2016, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

If it is the pattern in the catalog I'm looking at, it states what ruler you will need. Connecting Threads had the ruler on sale. I would check there.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:45 AM

its the heartfire kit...i went back to the pattern & the kit description in the catalog & no mention of needing a ruler...not until the kit comes & the designer suggests one...disappointing...
Old 02-26-2016, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Is the kit Delight Quilt Kit?? I dislike it when I buy a pattern not able to read the instruction inside recommending a specialty ruler that you will only use once. I myself would try to find that large of a hex online, print it out making sure it is accurate and make a cardboard template. I would cut my fabric into square and the trace the lines for cutting. Good Luck. Very neat pattern:
http://www.ribboncandyquiltcompany.c...t-x2454495.htm
that's a cute quilt, thanks for the link. i too make my own templates. a scrappy irish chain style quilt w fussy cut chickens & roosters as hexigons i made a few years ago was done this way and the piecing worked perfectly. i sometimes think quilters are becoming too dependent on specialized cutting tools & rulers. JMHO