Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning your machine >

Cleaning your machine

Cleaning your machine

Old 02-27-2016, 04:26 PM

Default Cleaning your machine

I have a question on oiling your machine? How often do u oil it and if there's a specific oil that is used. I have a janome horizon. Thanks
Old 02-27-2016, 04:31 PM

Not all machines are treated the same. Check your manufacturers book. My Bernina and Baby Lock are totally different.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

Some machines are self lubricating which means the gears are embedded with silicone that lubircates when moving. A machine that is self lubricating should be run every so often, not put in a closet and forgot about. All machines need a little machine oil is certain places. Only oil labeled sewing machine oil should be used. It is made to evaporate so it won't get all gummed up in the machine. That's why the machine has to be oiled regularly, the oil evaporates. If the oil has a yellow tint it is not good machine oil. It should be clear.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

Check your manual or call the dealer for the frequency and oil points, some machines are closed systems you do not oil. As for what kind...sewing machine oil. Available at dealers, Joanne's, quilt shops.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:58 PM

If you don't have your manual you can find it online. The reason I say this is because I am not sure where my manual is and my machine needs oil too!
Old 02-27-2016, 06:03 PM

The only places you can get to are the bobbin area and the take-up -- if you can get the needle plate off and the end cap off. Only use clear sewing machine oil. The bobbin area only needs a little oil under the plastic bobbin case, and on the feed dog linkage. The take-up needs oil in each joint, and behind the pitman (the bigger, round metal part that's just past the take-up). But these only need attention about every 6 months to a year.

All machines need oil. However, these new machines aren't very consumer friendly. The consumer can't take the covers off and get inside where the shafts and eccentrics are. It's not really that they are "self-oiling," they just need a tech to do the oiling for you. The outer covers on these computerized machines should never be taken off by the consumer.

If you sew every day, you need to take your machine in for a service at least once each year. But never let your machine go more than 4 years without a service. We need to get inside and remove the lint that gets packed in the gears, and oil the shafts and eccentrics.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:46 PM

I bet you will not find anything about oiling your machine because officially it doesn't need it.
Don't know much about the Horizon but I have a Janome 6600 and I've been told that I should
never oil this machine...self lubricating and all that. Well, I still put a drop of oil once in a while.
Just one drop. I know it needs that drop of oil when it starts making a funny noise. I also note
the date when I put the oil so I don't overdo it. I put a drop of oil in the wick and nowhere else.
Wait and see what the Horizon owners have to say.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:54 PM

Some machines are lubricated when they go for an annual service in areas we can't reach. I wipe my bobbin area with a cloth with one drop of oil on.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:12 AM

With the Janome machines usually you only put one (1) drop of oil on the wick in the bobbin area. Recheck your manual or call your dealer. I have had all the emb. machines from the 10K up to the 15K and that is all I do. It is important you clean the lint out often as that really affects the sewing.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tiggersmom View Post
Not all machines are treated the same. Check your manufacturers book. My Bernina and Baby Lock are totally different.
I couldn't have said it any better. If you take your machine in for yearly servicing, ask the technician to show you how to oil if needed.