Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cleaning cutting mat >

cleaning cutting mat

cleaning cutting mat

Old 03-05-2016, 07:45 AM

Default cleaning cutting mat

How do I get the fuzzies out of my Olfa cutting mat? I squared up and then perforated the edge of fleece yardage this morning getting ready to crochet around the edge but now I have a fuzzy mat. Any suggestions how to get those pulled out. The mat isn't new by any means but I really like the thing.

I've tried my lint brush and one of those scrubbies like for my own bath but it's still pretty evident. (And wouldn't you know, it was just yesterday that I had this mat in the bath tub, trying to clean it up a bit, not realizing that this project would become a necessity for a gift.)
Old 03-05-2016, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

You might try a large eraser to see if that will pull out the fuzzies. I usually just moisten my finger tips and rub over fuzzy spots but your job sounds bigger then the ocassional spot I do. They do make a cutting board cleaning tool but I have not tried it.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:12 AM

Get a new cutting mat and keep the old one for cutting fleece and batting.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

I cut fleece once on my good board and never really got it successfully removed. I do what EasyPeezy does is use an old mat for cutting fleece.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:51 AM
Power Poster

Try one of those microfiber rags. I use it on mine. I dampen and wring dry. then wipe the mat down. I have never put my mat into the tub. Use the back side of your mat to cut the linty fabric.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
You might try a large eraser to see if that will pull out the fuzzies. I usually just moisten my finger tips and rub over fuzzy spots but your job sounds bigger then the ocassional spot I do. They do make a cutting board cleaning tool but I have not tried it.
I had to do this job only yesterday. I had cut batting strips. After the hand held vac didn't get it all out, I used a stiff brush, which took out a bit more. Than I tried the fabric eraser and it worked fine. After it was clean, I moistened a large towel and gave it a good soak then wiped it off. Let it dry lying on the table until it was completely dry. It looks like new.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:32 PM

Dawn & a dish scrubbing brush will probably get the fuzzies out, but you'll still have the grooves. A long soak in warm water will make them a tiny bit less noticeable but as other have said you'll probably need to get a new mat unless you have a double-sided mat and can flip it over and use the back.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:08 PM
Power Poster

I've gone to using an old mat and an older cutter when cutting fleece, etc. A big pink eraser from the dollar store helps to get rid of the fuzzies, along with giving the mat a dip in the tub~~~