Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever make a top you just don't like? >

Have you ever make a top you just don't like?

Have you ever make a top you just don't like?

Old 03-10-2016, 07:52 AM

Yes, I have made several. I finish them, chalk it up to practice, and donate them. I have also finished tops I liked, but messed up the quilting, and those get donated, too. At least they will keep someone or some furry creature warm.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:56 AM

Yes. When I am going to do a quilt that I'm not sure about the pattern, I make a lap quilt size just to see if I
am going to like it. Then...if I don't, it ends up in the Charity box for Christmas gifting in December to the VA
home or Rest homes in our area. I think I 'donated' 15 last year. (BUT I finished them all. Something
inside me won't let me quit before it's done. Must be Grandma looking over my shoulder. LOL )
Old 03-10-2016, 08:06 AM

I think your quilt is without a doubt worthy of being finished. If you don't want to quilt it, maybe you can pass it on to someone to finish.

I have one quilt top that is really bad. I could see things weren't working, yet I kept on with it (have you ever started painting a room, and you see that the color looks bad, but you tell yourself, 'it will look better when it's all done.' Not!) When its time comes, I think I will quilt it for the practice, but I don't know what I'll do with it after that. Maybe keep it for moving furniture.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:21 AM

I once made a quilt I didn't like. I spent a year puttering with the blocks. Miss cut and ended up with way too many blocks. When I took it to my long armer she picked up on it. She did a wonderful job of quilting it. I ended up making a king size for my bed with the extra blocks and eventually the rest went into a little quilt for my grand daughter. My long armer really did make a silk purse out of a sows ear!
Old 03-10-2016, 09:00 AM

I hate UFOs and I would definitely finish this one and if you don't like it after it is quilted, then give it away. I was making a chenille vest some years back when chenille was so popular. I threw it into the trash can 3 times while I was making it but then I would think of all of the time & money I had invested in it and the next morning I would retrieve it from the trash can and work some more. I hated it up until the time I removed it from the dryer. I got more compliments on that vest than anything else I had made. I'm so glad I didn't give up and throw it away.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:55 PM

I would use it as a quilt back if you don't like it. Also you could quilt it and donate it to charity. I like it.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:46 PM

I would love to see some modern style quilting using pink thread. Or matching thread with something curvy with pebbles.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:03 AM

I finished it and gave it away.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:12 AM

I also think it would make a great quilt back.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:47 AM

I love it! We should offer an exchange for orphaned projects. I have some that are almost done, then abandoned.