Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting with Flannel >

Quilting with Flannel

Quilting with Flannel

Old 03-25-2016, 05:18 AM

Default Quilting with Flannel

I was recently given several flannel layer cakes and asked to make pieced quilts using a block design I had made before. I have never sewn with flannel. I have several questions.
1. Will the pieced quilt top wear well under continued use?
2. Do I use the regular 1/4" seam or widen it a bit?
3. Do I press the seams open or to one side?
3. Will the flannel hold up if I quilt the finished top using free motion or would it be better to tie it?

Thanks for your answers in advance.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:09 AM

I would opt for at least very healthy quarter inch seams--personally I use 1/2 inch with flannel. I wonder how you manage shrinkage with precuts??? If I am using yardage, I prewash flannel because it does shrink, especially when put in the dryer. Press to side works fine. And yes, you can free motion quilt the finished quilt. Tying would be fine, too. Just depends on your preference.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:03 PM

I have made many tops with flannel. I use a 1/4" seam as usual, iron seams to the side. I've used smaller pieces without any problems. I wouldn't pick a pattern with small pieces, but I have used scraps that were given to me. Also FM quilted them, not a tight design and avoiding thicker seams. The only suggestion would be to avoid a patter with HSTs because of the stretch, unless you sew your triangles together while they are still a square...if you know what I mean )
They make wonderfully cozy quilts with flannel on the back.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:25 PM

I did a modifed (larger pieces) log cabin with flannel. Did use yardage and washed/dried to shrink, but used 1/4" seam, pressed to side and FMQ without problem--even had flannel on back too. If it's good quality flannel--which I'm betting it is as a layer cake--then it should be no problem.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:23 AM
Power Poster

I've made flannel pieced quilts that have lasted 20+ years, flannel is a soft, cozy cotton fabric. I use good quality flannels, not thin loosely woven flannels. I construct a quilt the same as I would using any other cotton fabric. I mix flannels and regular cottons in quilts, they turn out just fine. I press seams to one side unless there are multiple seams coming together, ( star points,pinwheels) or when instructions recommend pressing open. I use the regular seam allowance unless the fabric is fraying a lot, in that case I cut my pieces larger -add the excess seam allowance- so I can use 1/2" instead but still have blocks come out the correct size.
I free motion quilt my flannel quilts, flannel quilts beautifully! Your batting choice determines if tieing vs. quilting will work. Some battings are Not ok to tie the quilt. But, no reason to not quilt the flannel quilt.