Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with Flannel Backing >

Help with Flannel Backing

Help with Flannel Backing

Old 04-07-2016, 02:49 PM

Default Help with Flannel Backing

Hello all!

I'm making a baby crib sized quilt for a friend. Front is all done, looks fabulous if I do say so myself! She wants a flannel backing and puffy batting.

I've basted this darn thing twice, and taken it apart both times - i can't get it to be "flat" and with no bunching of the flannel backing ... I'm doing it by machine, but I'm using a huge stitch (6) if that means anything to anyone (standard setting is 2.5 on my machine). Thankfully, I can get all the stitches out super easy!

is there something I am missing? or more than one thing!

Thanks so much

Marion
Old 04-07-2016, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

Flannel stretches a bit more than quilting cotton, which adds to the issue. Use lots of pins when creating your sandwich. I would also quilt from the center out. Are you using a walking foot? that would help too.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:07 PM

Along with using a walking foot, I wonder if reducing the pressure of the foot might help, assuming your machine allows for this adjustment.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:13 PM

I did use a walking foot. Maybe if I try it with my machine set on stretchy fabric. I'll try that. Thanks!!
Old 04-07-2016, 03:37 PM

I agree with Jeanne. I use a very high loft batting (Warm & Plush) and had to lower the tension on my presser foot in order to get everything moving through okay. I would maybe try that & also would baste it using darning foot in a spiral rather than lines (or as an astrix if you really prefer walking foot, working from center out each time). Flannel is a bit trickier, but I'm sure the high loft batting is most likely your culprit.

Last edited by Bree123; 04-07-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

First thing I would recommend is *heavily* starching the flannel before layering. A 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water works well. I "paint" this onto the fabric with a large wall painting brush, wait a couple of minutes to make sure the fibers have a chance to absorb the starch, toss in the dryer, then iron with steam. What this does is stiffen the flannel so it is much less likely to stretch or distort while you are sewing. (It also helps to spray starch the top.)

You are basting with your sewing machine? Is this because you intend to hand quilt it? Because that is the only reason I can think of to machine baste. If this is the case, I would switch to water-soluble thread and work from the center out. A meander can actually cause less distortion than straight lines. I would reduce the stitch length simply because it's really hard to control a sandwich when the stitch is very large. Also see if you can reduce the presser foot pressure on your machine (some machines are adjustable, some are not). If you can't adjust the pressure, I would try switching to a "hopping" foot.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
First thing I would recommend is *heavily* starching the flannel before layering. A 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water works well. I "paint" this onto the fabric with a large wall painting brush, wait a couple of minutes to make sure the fibers have a chance to absorb the starch, toss in the dryer, then iron with steam. What this does is stiffen the flannel so it is much less likely to stretch or distort while you are sewing. (It also helps to spray starch the top.)

You are basting with your sewing machine? Is this because you intend to hand quilt it? Because that is the only reason I can think of to machine baste. If this is the case, I would switch to water-soluble thread and work from the center out. A meander can actually cause less distortion than straight lines. I would reduce the stitch length simply because it's really hard to control a sandwich when the stitch is very large. Also see if you can reduce the presser foot pressure on your machine (some machines are adjustable, some are not). If you can't adjust the pressure, I would try switching to a "hopping" foot.
wow, Prism... so much good advice. please keep reminding me [us] about starching the flannel... i just never seem to remember that.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:53 AM
Power Poster

I assume it the fat batting. Quilts are not made to be fluffy. I would suggest you look into tying the quilt.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:55 AM

Just an added thought. Doesn't answer your original question but...Did you prewash the flannel? It is going to shrink, sometimes big time, when it is first washed. And when the quilt is finished and washed, it may be more crinkly than you would like.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:02 AM

Yes, the flannel needs to be washed, probably twice, in hot water and dried in the dryer to get rid of the shrinkage. Some flannel shrinks up to a couple of inches per yard. Starching will not help with that. I would recommend that you tape (or use clips) the backing to a table. Be sure that you do not stretch the backing- just keep it snug. Lay on the batting and then the top. Baste with pins placed 4-5 inches apart or hand baste. Then, SDID if you want to quilt each block. Reduce the pressure on the quilting foot. A high loft batting looks really nice but the preparation is very important. Quilt from the center and be prepared to adjust basting as you move outward. It is doable so don't be discouraged.