Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How to store patterns for clothing, etc? >

How to store patterns for clothing, etc?

How to store patterns for clothing, etc?

Old 04-10-2016, 02:28 PM

Default How to store patterns for clothing, etc?

Hello all,

How do you go about storing used patterns for clothes, etc.? Thanks for the advice!
Old 04-10-2016, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

I use zip loc baggies
Old 04-10-2016, 04:34 PM
Power Poster

Nancy's notions sells great little plastic bags for them. separate area for paper and pieces. She also sells boxes for them with lids.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:47 PM

I bought some used file cabinets and file by category, such as blouses, coats, men's, etc. One gallon or two gallon bags for those that tend to expand after you remove them from the original folds. Sometimes I put them in a plastic sleeve or page protector, then put a pin in the open end to keep them from sliding out when being handled. Most of my patterns are traced from a master one, so that makes for more to store.

Craft and quilt patterns are another story, everywhere! They started out in labeled magazine files, plastic and cardboard. Sometimes I can find one and sometimes just give up until it finds me. I've put a lot of these in notebooks from Costco or thrift stores.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:34 AM

I put the pattern and instructions in a manila envelope. I write the pattern number on the envelope and file in a file cabinet. The pattern envelopes I keep in page protectors in a notebook.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:42 AM

I put the pattern back in the envelope they were in when purchased. Nice picture on the outside with all the info needed for fabric, notions. Has the sizes, etc. Mine are sorted by size. I was lucky to find boxes at the grocery store that are the correct size for the patterns to stand upright and easy to sort through when looking for the one I want.

Now what to do with them when the kids outgrow those sizes--or the adults, too?! Some of mine are very old but with the prices of the patterns and fabric nowadays, it's cheaper to buy clothes than to make them. Clothing patterns have little value for reselling or exchange.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:47 AM

I put them neatly back in the packages and store them by category in shoe boxes so they're easy to find.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:55 AM

I used to refold them on the lines and try to stuff them back in the envelopes- big pain! Now after I cut them apart, i refold them so the pattern number is visible and dry iron them flat and then put them is the envelope. I used the pattern boxes for a while but now have a pattern file that came from a fabric store via garage sale. Still have way too many! Lol
Old 04-11-2016, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

I fold them up as neatly as possible and put the envelope in front and the pattern pieces in back in a zip lock. they are all in a big box but when I need one I can find it.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:58 AM

[QUOTE=illinois;752030 Clothing patterns have little value for reselling or exchange.[/QUOTE]

You say that now, but wait until you try to find one that is out of print. I have bought garment patterns from websites that deal only with used, out of print, or vintage patterns, and they are often priced higher than when new. When buying them in thrift stores, I peek inside briefly to see if the pattern pieces have been cut out because those usually have at least one piece missing. I do agree with you about "over the counter" prices.