Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Finally got the white FW mostly cleaned up but have a question or two >

Finally got the white FW mostly cleaned up but have a question or two

Finally got the white FW mostly cleaned up but have a question or two

Old 04-13-2016, 04:06 AM

Default Finally got the white FW mostly cleaned up but have a question or two

I'd been looking for one of the white FWs and finally found one that I could afford. But it was the dirtiest machine I'd ever tried to clean up. But, I got it sewing a beautiful stitch and thought I was done. But, when I tried to wind a bobbin and released the stop motion screw (I think that's what it's called) it didn't stop the needle from going up and down. So, now I know I have to take the hand wheel apart and clean in there, too. I haven't done that in such a long time. Could someone tell me how to do it again, please? I want to finish the job I started and have everything working well.

So, I've posted the before and after pictures. Now to get the tool box out again.
Attached Thumbnails 0000221whitebefore.jpg   0000221whiteafter.jpg  
Old 04-13-2016, 04:18 AM

Oh, I almost forgot my other question. I looked up the serial number (EV973725) on this baby but the dating site I use said it's a 285K released on June 11, 1964. Well, I know that's not correct. But, would any of you know of another site that would have the accurate date for this one? I figure it was made in Scotland and perhaps the information might not be as accurate as the stuff made in the US?
Old 04-13-2016, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

Just Google Singer Featherweight groups and there's a large list. You could check one of those. You did great job on cleaning it up.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

I had the opportunity in the 90s to buy a white FW but at the time, they were not valuable and I turned the offer down. I have kicked myself ever since. Oh well.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:06 PM

You did a great job getting her looking spiffy!
Old 04-13-2016, 05:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Oh, I almost forgot my other question. I looked up the serial number (EV973725) on this baby but the dating site I use said it's a 285K released on June 11, 1964. Well, I know that's not correct. But, would any of you know of another site that would have the accurate date for this one? I figure it was made in Scotland and perhaps the information might not be as accurate as the stuff made in the US?
The Singer lists do have errors and not just for Kilbowie machines. I don't think that has anything to do with it. My theory is that somewhere between the time a set of numbers were first designated and the time that production actually began a change in model was made and didn't get properly recorded before the production started. We'll never know.

Cari
Old 04-13-2016, 09:57 PM

Usually if your needle won't stop going up and down when you release the stop motion screw it means the washer right behind the SMC is placed in wrongly. If I recall correctly, the three little bumps go away from the machine. There are two different ways you can place the washer this way, and one will be right. You will place it the other way the first time! So, put the washer on, screw the stopper into place, screw the little screw into place, and check it. If needle still goes up and down, unscrew little screw, unscrew stopper, don't let washer fall off (good idea to put the machine up on it's other side so the washer lays flat), move washer to other possible position, mark with sharpie, and try again. It should work that way. If all else fails, read the manual! Just did this a few days ago, though, and it worked.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:37 AM

What an amazing difference!!! The records about manufacturing the white machines were lost. I did find this for you though:
  • White/Green & Beige/Tan machines were produced at Clydebank, Scotland and St. John’s, Newfoundland, Canada (Beige/Tan) from 1945 to 1963. (JB 1945-1948 JC 1948-1959 JD 1959-1963)
Old 04-14-2016, 09:34 AM

Please tell me what cleaner you used on the finish. I was spraying mine with simple green and the numbers on the tension dial started coming off.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:41 AM

Beautiful job cleaning her up. Looks prim and proper.