Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Looking for tips from other snowbirds >

Looking for tips from other snowbirds

Looking for tips from other snowbirds

Old 04-18-2016, 04:07 AM

Default Looking for tips from other snowbirds

Hi there,
We are heading up to New England soon after our first winter as retired snowbirds. I am looking for tips on how to make the transition easier. I have a dedicated sewing space here and a machine that will stay here. I have a machine waiting up there. I quilt and knit, mostly. It's starting to drive me a little crazy trying to plan what I will need there and what I can leave here. We are driving and taking some time to visit parts of the country we haven't seen yet. Here, in Florida, I have easy access to two favorite quilt shops and a big Joann's. There, we will be in a more rural area with those places a bit of a drive. (This is not really a big problem. It will be easier on the budget and I'll be able to use more stuff up).
So...I welcome any suggestions that have worked for you!
Thanks,
lots2do
Old 04-18-2016, 04:16 AM

I'm not in your shoes (2 homes) BUT I would think it would depend on how long you are planning to be in either location. Would it make sense to just make up some kits to take to whichever location you spend the least amount of time? Or, since you'll be doing some traveling along the way, pick up 'stash' type stuff for the second location? Do you have a second set of needed tools in the second location so you're not transporting that type stuff back/forth each trip? Just a couple of thoughts.

Enjoy your travels and shopping adventures.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:36 AM
Power Poster

we have been doing the snow bird thing for over ten years now.

I still fret bout what to bring with us and what to leave behind (from both locations). Car space is a factor and so is spousal irritation about how much I think I have to have.

u
Old 04-18-2016, 05:07 AM
Power Poster

I would organized my projects into these niffy scrapbook cases by Iris that I got at JAF. Make sure you have all the basics to work on that project: pattern, fabric , thread and notions. Be sure you packed everything and then take plenty of basic sewing supplies.
Attached Thumbnails iris-cases.jpg  
Old 04-19-2016, 03:49 AM

It took a while for me to develop a fully equipped sewing area in both houses so for the first few years I carried more things back and forth. I now have a stash in both places along with supplies. It takes time and in the meantime carry some things back and forth and also adopt the attitude that if you don't have it in one place you either get it or do without. Doing without hasn't been a problem as I'm usually able to come up with a solution. The biggest challenge is looking for something, knowing that you have it only to find it later in the other place.

Happy retirement!
Old 04-19-2016, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
we have been doing the snow bird thing for over ten years now.

I still fret bout what to bring with us and what to leave behind (from both locations). Car space is a factor and so is spousal irritation about how much I think I have to have.

u
My situation/sentiments exactly!!
Old 04-19-2016, 06:07 AM

I'm not a snowbird, but living in AZ I have met a lot. The easiest, they say, is to duplicate everything and not drag anything back and forth. Those that have the really big travel trailers, just keep everything on board. And if you have duplicates of the big hard items, most anything else in the fabric or yarn line can be purchased on-line.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

These are the best containers for projects. If you keep your eyes open or get on Michaels mailing list you can get these once in a while 3/$10.00. Either way these are great. I put a kingsize sheet in to see if it would fit that much fabric and it does along with your intended pattern and any notes. Easy to carry. I get the clear clear (not clear/color) but your choice. You can also use them as light boxes. Throw in an led and have a go at it for tracing. Mine from Michaels are 14"x14"x3".
Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I would organized my projects into these niffy scrapbook cases by Iris that I got at JAF. Make sure you have all the basics to work on that project: pattern, fabric , thread and notions. Be sure you packed everything and then take plenty of basic sewing supplies.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

This year, stuff i took to Florida and brought back:

The laundry basket full of interlock fabric for my guys' "comfy pants" - made three pairs while in Florida
My hand grommet press and grommets
The jar of big buttons
My Pfaff 1473 sewing machine
My heritage rag cutter scissors

Took and left - the Viking 905 serger

Brought back to give to daughter - some little pillow forms that need covers
Brought back for son - A shrunk wool blanket I was going to use for pot holder innards for his car

Things I have duplicates of:

Cutting mats
Rotary cutters
Rulers

I have been accumulating for "a while" - but one can get by with a lot less than I have.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:32 AM

Cutting mats and rulers stay in both places. That way they don't get warped/broken. I leave behind a FW in PA, and sometimes pack my Pfaff, depending on what I plan on doing. Also keep a rotary cutter in both places. Just the basics. The project cases are a good idea for taking if you have it all ready. Usually, we stop at Row by Row shops and I buy the kit (if I like it) and that keeps me busy enough.