Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Reversible quilt - pros/cons? >

Reversible quilt - pros/cons?

Reversible quilt - pros/cons?

Old 04-25-2016, 12:00 PM

Default Reversible quilt - pros/cons?

I am making a new quilt for my bedroom, it will be an extra large queen. I have quite a bit of fabric left over (as I couldn't get my colors just as I wanted them, so bought more fabric!). I was considering piecing the back of the quilt to use up fabric (no particular pattern). Then I thought - why not make it reversible?! My extra fabric is cut up small, hence thinking of another pattern for the back. As I consider this, it occurred to me that I will be adding a lot more seams. Will that make the quilt heavier? What about free motion quilting. Does it make that more difficult? I FMQ on a DSM. I have pieced my backing before, but it was with large pieces, so not a lot of seams. So now I am unsure. Are there additional cons to doing this? Good idea/bad idea?
Old 04-25-2016, 12:04 PM
Power Poster

I would save the smaller pieces for another top, use larger pieces for the back.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

I have never tried it. The quilting might work on one side but not the other. It is very hard to line up two quits together.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

I wouldn't do it. It's hard to line up two tops, the extra seams will make the quilt heavier, and the extra seams will also make it more difficult to quilt -- especially on a domestic machine.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:17 PM
Power Poster

If the patterns on the front and back don't have to line up, then I say go for it! A fun abstract back might be good for a change up every now and then. JMHO~~
Old 04-25-2016, 12:58 PM

I made a reversible quilt as a wedding gift for my oldest daughter. She picked out the pattern and fabric. I made Wonky Log Cabin by Buggy Barns. It was a nightmare from day one and I thought I would have myself committed before it was done. She loved it, but the pattern was awful. Extra seams didn't seem to add too much to the finished quilt. They wanted the back to be similar to the front so I had to be careful to have each square even. I quilted it myself on my frame and it did come out nice. The only problem I remember having was making sure each square was equal and even. I think a reversible quilt is a nice idea, depending on the pattern. Have fun with it, and take your time.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:23 PM

I've been making double sided quilts for 20 years or more. Love love love them
Old 04-25-2016, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

I have done it before, but I quilt on a longarm. I haven't noticed a difference in the quilt's weight. After all, a quilt top, even kingsize, doesn't weigh all that much.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:44 PM

I always piece my backs. Sometimes its large pieces with orphan blocks throw in. Try a two sided small sandwich and see how difficult it would be to quilt.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:00 PM

I have used left over blocks and extra pieces of fabric for backs, when I do I make sure that the pieces are square up so the back will be square and not all wonky so the long armer has a sturdy back ground. I use larger pieces on the edges so the the seam aren't heavy on the edges