Mystery machine

Old 04-26-2016, 04:48 PM

Default Mystery machine

Any idea what this might be?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]548734[/ATTACH]

I'm guessing it's a Jones Serpentine, but it has some strange metal doodads around the base that I haven't seen in other pictures. I think the person who took the pictures didn't know it was a sewing machine, because they photographed it from the back.
Attached Thumbnails odd-machine.jpg  
Old 04-26-2016, 05:23 PM

Welcome. Just a guess but perhaps it was made by a Canadian maker like Raymond.

http://needlebar.org/cm/thumbnails.php?album=151

Jon
Old 04-26-2016, 05:40 PM

You may be right about that, since this is IN Canada, it might well be a Canadian machine. Thanks!
Old 04-26-2016, 07:03 PM

Wanzer is another early Canadian maker. Too bad the photo is at an odd angle.

Jon
Old 04-26-2016, 07:22 PM
Power Poster

she would be prety all cleaned and polished up. I bet she's really old too. if you refinish her, please show us.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:24 AM

My word! Just look, you can still see remnants of the decals on the top bar. I bet, cleaned up, carefully....
Old 05-24-2016, 07:44 AM

Update 5/24 : I went to the Victoria Day auction up in Balderson, and GOT this mysterious old machine! I was right - they *didn't* know it was a sewing machine. It was in a box with some rusty old axe heads.

I haven't had time to do much work on my sewing machine projects, because it's *finally* spring and I've been planting the garden. But that's nearly done, and I'll be going back to refinishing my Singer 27 treadle cabinet, and I'll have time to study this new guy.

Still no idea who the maker is - I thought I saw a raised badge on the underside, but can't see any raised lettering. I couldn't resist just making a tiny start, though, so I got a little sewing machine oil and tried uncovering a bit of the bed to see if I could bring up some of the decal. It looks pretty!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]550738[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]550739[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]550740[/ATTACH]

The balance wheel turns, but the gears don't engage, so nothing else moves. I'll try to loosen things up with PB Blaster when I get a chance. The balance wheel is grooved, so I think this might have been a treadle machine. No sign of a crank or any place to attach one.
Attached Thumbnails old-machine-002.jpg   old-machine-001.jpg   old-machine-003.jpg  
Old 05-24-2016, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

Going to be pretty when it's done. Don't know if you have the product called 'IRON OUT" It removes rust from clothes. Maybe a rag soaked in it then just wipe down in an inconspicuous spot then use the oil. just a suggestion/thought.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:55 AM

Thanks! I'll see if we have that up here. I've got a feeling I'm going to be trying a lot of products on this one, at least where it doesn't show!
Old 05-24-2016, 09:08 AM
Banned

It is most assuredly not a Jones. I would agree it is Canadian. Wanzer, Raymond, Guelph, etc. The shuttle (if present) can go a long way to identifying it. If you would like top post pictures of the area under the bed, it may also help.

I would STRONGLY recommend only using Sewing Machine oil to do your cleaning. You can use 0000 steel wool (super fine) in the steel parts, but the decals will be VERY sensitive to almost any chemical.

I also have an unknown Canadian machine that is similar. Mine looks like a cross between a Raymond and a Guelph
[ATTACH=CONFIG]550747[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails ebay2.jpg