Mystery machine

Old 05-24-2016, 09:35 AM

Wow. It's amaizing how good the decals and Japanning are under the rust and dust. This is going to be very interesting!
Old 05-24-2016, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
It is most assuredly not a Jones. I would agree it is Canadian. Wanzer, Raymond, Guelph, etc. The shuttle (if present) can go a long way to identifying it. If you would like top post pictures of the area under the bed, it may also help.

I would STRONGLY recommend only using Sewing Machine oil to do your cleaning. You can use 0000 steel wool (super fine) in the steel parts, but the decals will be VERY sensitive to almost any chemical.

I also have an unknown Canadian machine that is similar. Mine looks like a cross between a Raymond and a Guelph
[ATTACH=CONFIG]550747[/ATTACH]
I wouldn't use PB Blaster on the top of the machine or on any painted/japanned surface - I only meant I'd try it on the gears underneath and at the end under the balance wheel. I don't even know what is under the rust on the faceplate - plain polished metal or black paint? I'll carefully swab it with oil until I can tell what's what.

Your old machine looks very nice! I suspect mine must be missing some parts, but cleaning it is the first task, and I'm not going to hurry it. I've read about how delicate these old decals are.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:06 PM

A couple pictures of the underside.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]550758[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]550759[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails rhubarb-pie-002.jpg   rhubarb-pie-003.jpg  
Old 05-24-2016, 03:40 PM
Banned

I asked a good friend who is an Antique Sewing Machine broker about this. His response was "I've had similar I'm not sure exactly what it is, but there's got to be a name in the stitch plate, almost every single Canadian machine ever made is marked on the stitch plate or slide plates."

So, let us know what you find!