Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Colored cutting mats >

Colored cutting mats

Colored cutting mats

Old 05-07-2016, 02:08 PM

Default Colored cutting mats

It has been a long time since I have visited the board. I am struggling with my green cutting mat - having a hard time seeing the lines and being able to cut accurately. Can anyone give me some advice on other colors of mats you may have used. I am thinking a pink/blue 2 sided mat may be what I am looking for. Thanks for your thoughts, Cheers, Barb
Old 05-07-2016, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

I don't use the lines on the mat to cut my fabric. Is there a reason you don't use the ruler to measure?
Old 05-07-2016, 02:17 PM

i turn my grided mat over and cut on the plain side and use the numbers on my rulers not the mat......Try it it works so much better and is far more accurate
Old 05-07-2016, 02:18 PM

I'm with JaneQuilter, I don't use the lines at all and turn the mat over to the plain side.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:29 PM

Sorry, I should have given more info. I use a ruler to cut, not the lines on the mat. It's just that I am having trouble seeing the edge of the fabrics unless they are really light against the green of the cutting mat I own. Mine is green on both sides. I was wondering if anyone has used the pink or whatever other color of mats and how they liked them.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:31 PM

I have a pink one that I've been using for years -- it's showing it's age now. I don't have any problems with it.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:42 PM

If I am cutting a print, I will often turn it upside down and cut from the back side of the fabric if I am having a difficult time seeing the edges. Often green prints are tan on the back so much easier to see accurately. This does not work for solids or batiks of course.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:51 PM

I got a grey X-Acto cutting mat on amazon. Helps when cutting dark colors.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Sorry, I should have given more info. I use a ruler to cut, not the lines on the mat. It's just that I am having trouble seeing the edge of the fabrics unless they are really light against the green of the cutting mat I own. Mine is green on both sides. I was wondering if anyone has used the pink or whatever other color of mats and how they liked them.
I encountered the same problems you describe, especially when trying to cut in the evenings, no matter how many lamps and daylight bulbs I used. My solution was the Fiskars mats that are pale green on one side and pale yellow on the other. I always use the yellow side. It's been about 2 1/2 years since I switched, at which time I described my problem and solution in a group email to all members of two groups that I am enrolled in. I was surprised at the number of members who said they have the same problem. At a recent retreat I saw one that was stark white, not the translucent white like the one I bought more than 25 years ago and could never use for rotary cutting because it carved up like jello. I think this new white one I saw was a Fiskars also.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:09 PM
Power Poster

I had the same problem and recently got one of the pink/blue mats. So far I like it a lot. I still have my green mats, so I can now choose from several colors for cutting.