Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Name of this block? >

Name of this block?

Name of this block?

Old 05-10-2016, 11:29 PM

Default Name of this block?

Good Morning

Is there anyone that could help me with the name of this block? I'm specifically looking for a tutorial for one like this where the pink and red blocks are all one piece instead of being pieced together?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/2883673...ilt?ref=market

I'm a newbie to quilting so haven't a clue Thank you!

Last edited by Vicki1212; 05-10-2016 at 11:32 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:36 PM

It looks like this is her orginal pattern she designed. She has a listing for a digital download for the pattern for this quilt block. The block name given is Provencial Star Block. Hope this helps.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/246625681/provencial-star-block-geometric-pattern?ref=shop_home_active_19
Old 05-11-2016, 03:37 AM

Since you are new to quilting, I do not think this is appropriate to you. It would really frustrate you. I would suggest you do something with squares or half square triangles first. Google. There are lots to choose from. Then when you are more experienced you can try this. You could do this with y seams with the red and pink as one piece or have the pink and red as two pieces of the same color or you could paper piece. Good luck.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:11 AM
Power Poster

I think I would just buy the down-load for the pattern.

From the original link, it looks like it was assembled it with no y-seams .
Not impossible for a newbie - just requires paying attention
Old 05-11-2016, 04:27 AM

i'm with maureen nj
Old 05-11-2016, 04:37 AM

Thanks everyone! I wasn't going to buy the pattern because I don't want the rest of the star, just need to know how to do the pink and red blocks. Having thought about it though, with my lack of experience, I think I'm going to buy the pattern anyway because I do like the block. Then I have it for future use as well as the instructions on how to put it all together. Thanks for the advice
Old 05-11-2016, 04:43 AM
Power Poster

Just looked at the pattern for sale. The block is paper pieced, and it looks like she doesn't give much instruction, just tells you to look online for more info. If you do decide to proceed, do look at paper piecing tutorials before ordering to see if it's something you would like to try. It's not hard, and it does produce nice sharp points, but it's confusing for some.
.... Ok, after reading your second post, it sounds like you are just interested in doing the pink and red patches. They are basically snowball blocks, with only 2 corners snow balled. The technique you use is 'flippy corners'. You start with the pink rectangle the size of the finished patch. You will have to experiment with the size of the small squares for the corners. Here's a tutorial.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 05-11-2016 at 04:55 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:55 AM

Well....I agree with the comments if you are really new to perhaps try something a bit more simple, but I have to ask: Are you comfortable with sewing skills? If you've been sewing for a while, and quilting is new to you, this 'might' be okay to try? The only reason I am saying this is I jumped into my first quilt and the woman I took it to for the longarm quilting about dropped her jaw because of what I chose for my first one.....but....I'm kinda like that You can always try one block and see how you feel it turned out before cutting out the rest, too. Use stash fabrics and don't waste your chosen good ones.....it isn't going to hurt. Good luck and welcome to the madness called Quilting!
Old 05-11-2016, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

I say go for it. Why not do one block. If it's too difficult, you just move on to another. Don't let others set your limitations for you. What may be difficult for one who has been doing it for years may not be so difficult for a newbie. Too many videos out there to assist you.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

looks like the tutorial link got left off...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KWFiqx5JrY