Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Fleamarket find - Singer VS2 fiddleback >

Fleamarket find - Singer VS2 fiddleback

Fleamarket find - Singer VS2 fiddleback

Old 05-20-2016, 03:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
What is it you call French polish for sewing machines? I was tought French polishing for wood furniture. In the class I took the high gloss finish you see on guitars and violins was not called french polishing, but it's the same process; multiple layers of shellac dissolved in alcohol, and inbetween layers we sprinkled on a very fine milled stone dust to fill in the grain in the wood, sort of buffed up between applications. Shellac dries rather quickly. French polishing was finished by sanding down the gloss with the dust we used. It gave a flawless silky smooth finish which made the wood look very nice. The high gloss shine was made exactly the same way, but finishing of with a layer of shellac. We used woven cotton fabric, made into a ball for the buffing up between layers. On the web now, I have noticed they use the term French polishing for shellac treatments in general. These cabinet restorers had all kinds of traditional recepies for different polishes, waxes and treatments. I suspect Singer only dipped the machines in black dye and spray painted layers of shellac solution (there is a video on the web some where, but I have never found any detailed description of the process).
Glenn has info in his sticky specifically how to French polish an old sewing machine. You can use all your class methods if you don't have decals to worry about. Besides decals, shellac is what you are dealing with on the antique machines. Glenn is speaking from YEARS of much professional experience and he was taught in Germany by a master. A class is only going to show you how to do one project and give you some vague idea how to do something - same with sewing machine repairs. As you know, a class doesn't necessarily give you a whole lot of experience. A class can only give you knowledge, experience will give you wisdom. Wisdom goes a lot farther than knowledge in my book. You can spout off knowledge all day long with out exhibiting very much wisdom.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:44 AM
Power Poster

Actually, I am only responsible for the photos. My husband did the writing. Our attempt was to capture some of Glenn's wisdom. Since that time I have used that method to refurbish a few derelict machines. My efforts are not as good as the beautiful results I've seen Glenn get but I am happy with most of the ones I have messed with. I do understand the process. There is a learning curve involved here. Until you have done this process you cannot really understand how it works. If you want additional information look for a copy of "The Furnature Doctor" by George Grotz.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:22 PM
Power Poster

She looks like a fun project!
Old 05-24-2016, 12:21 PM

You are doing a wonderful job , I love restoration posts , can't wait to see it all done
Old 05-24-2016, 01:39 PM

I don't doubt your expertise at all Miriam, neither Glenn's, I hold them in great regard. I always assumed metal and s*e*w*i*n*g machines required slightly different methods than wood. I still find it a bit scary to refinish a table top or other wood surface. I only get a chance to do it now and then, not every year even, but I like the challenge and the result is usually nice. Luckily shellac is something that can be used by amateurs with less than a cabinet makers experience and work shop :- )

Last edited by Mickey2; 05-24-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:07 AM

Well, the old girl was in pretty rough shape. But I got her cleaned, lubed and polished as well as I could. It runs smoothly and, while not the beauty she once was, she is presentable and runs smoothly - so I'm satisfied.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:40 AM

You are a kind and brave soul! Best of luck with this adventure and I hope you'll post pics.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
Well, the old girl was in pretty rough shape. But I got her cleaned, lubed and polished as well as I could. It runs smoothly and, while not the beauty she once was, she is presentable and runs smoothly - so I'm satisfied.
Very impressive. You do beautiful work.

Care to share techniques and products (besides ultrasonic)? I'm guessing that a tumbler wouldn't be good for the hand wheel and that looks really nice and shiny (along with the other metal bits).

Also I noticed the bumper on the back. My 15 fiddle base didn't have one. Could you give me the measurements (even approximate) of the wood and rubber piece??? I'm thinking that for the top rubber that maybe something like this would work http://www.amazon.com/Sorbothane-Hem.../dp/B0042U6ZDU

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:17 AM

I used TR-3 Resin Glaze on the paint after the usual cleaning. I worked carefully over the decals trying to remove grime without wearing them down. I did lose a little decal, but not much. Then I did the French polish technique to add a fresh layer of shellac over the paint and decals. The plated parts were mostly rusty, so they were soaked in Evaporust. Then they were polished with Mothers Aluminum polish. Regarding the hand wheel. it was petty rough, so I set it up in a lathe so I could spin it. After the Evapoust I used 220 , 320, then 400 grit sand paper with oil to get it pretty shiny. Then with it spinning, I used the Mothers polish to finish I up. The last step was to coat all bare metal and plated parts with Boeshield T-9 to prevent corrosion.

I'll check on the wood post tonight.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:17 PM

Here is the bumper post on the back. It is 2.5" tall from the table surface to the top. The rubber on top is about 3/16" tall, but is a bit squished.
Attached Thumbnails post.jpg