Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design wall question >

Design wall question

Design wall question

Old 05-18-2016, 08:13 PM

Default Design wall question

I am in the planning stage of building a design wall. I will be using 3/4" styrofoam insulation boards that are 4'x8'. I will use two boards. Here's the questions. I have a HUGE roll of poly batting that I got for basically nothing and was wondering if it would be good to use for the design wall? I know most people use flannel or felt. I just don't want to spend a lot of time putting the batting on only to find out it was a bad choice. In my mind, it sounds like a good idea but I'd like to get your guys opinions on it. I'm trying to keep this as low cost as possible, hence using the poly batting.

also how do you guys attach or hang your design walls? I prefer not to bolt it to the wall or nail it. But I don't want it falling down either.

Can't wait to hear your guys responses!!! Thanks!'
Old 05-18-2016, 08:40 PM

I started with felt, then flannel, and neither worked very well. They weren't sticky enough.

At one point, I started using Quilter's Dream batting in my quilts, fell in love with it, and haven't used W&N in a quilt since. I had some leftover W&N, pinned it to my design wall, and it works beautifully. It's very sticky, it will hold not just blocks, but entire rows, without pins.

I simply attached the batting to the wall with push pins. Easy to remove, easy enough to fix holes when it's time to move. I've never felt the need to have styrofoam.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:51 PM

I do not have wall room to attach design wall to the wall. I have 2-4x7 sheets of 2 inch ridge insulation covered with a thin poly cotton blend batting. they can easily be moved, and hold all blocks and rows, I do have to pin in 2 or 3 places as I start to attach rows together. I cut down the boards because I could not reach the top of 8 ft without using a step stool. Surprising how much easier 7 foot is able to be moved rather than 8 foot. When not in use they lean against the wall behind my LA.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:57 PM

forgot to mention, when in use, my 2 boards just lean up against one if my cabinets, counters, or even my cutting table. Where ever it is handiest for me at the time.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:06 PM

Pin a small piece of the batting up and try it out. That way you'll know if you like it before doing the whole board.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:28 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I agree with Peckish; have always used cotton like W&N or Quilters dream on mine, same wall as you are making. I've used a wall like this for decades.

Jan in VA
Old 05-18-2016, 10:35 PM

Have you looked at "Heavy duty design wall" By shorebird posted on 5/16/2016? She uses the whole wall because she starts at the top of the wall, and doesn't use styro boards, Hers sounds cheap, but effective. Worth a look.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:47 AM
Power Poster

I use flannel because it is easier to roll one of those lint rollers over the flannel to clean it. There will always be bits of thread getting tangled with using batting.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:53 AM
Power Poster

I used double side tape to attach my foam boards to the wall. Batting works well, but threads do ( cling) a lot.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:07 AM

i use a flannel backed vinyl table cloth on mine. and the fabric really stays on the flannel backing