Cloth Nurses Cap

Old 05-31-2016, 06:10 AM
BCM

The vintage nurse cap was a heavily starched cap. There were many styles--each nursing school had a different cap and pin, and even capes pre 60's. As Lynnie suggested, a good idea to contact a nursing school that has been around for awhile, and they can refer you to companies that offer caps for sale. I do not recall them being very expensive. My school ordered our uniforms, aprons and caps from the Nightingale Company. My school is closed and I'm unsure if Nightingale Company is still around. Good luck! I would be interested in the outcome of your search.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:24 AM

I Would make it out of a heavy white cotton. Double the main front part. Should be a rectangle. The "t" can be single thickness. The starching is key. We use to cook ours...should be the thickness of pancake mixed. Use a window or a mirror. Starch the hat to the glass and let dry. Can't remember how long. Peel off and fold.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

I have my nurses cap from graduation many years ago. It is rounded in shape. PM me and I can see if I can make a paper pattern of it.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:50 AM
Banned

I googled using your title and came up with several different links.

Nurse's Cap
Old 05-31-2016, 06:27 PM

I haven't seen one of those on a nurse for a very long time.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:11 AM

When googling for patterns, always throw in FREE! LOL
Old 06-01-2016, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Karamarie View Post
I haven't seen one of those on a nurse for a very long time.
That brought up an image in my mind of a male nurse in a cap! Don't mean to offend anyone. I've had male nurses and they're as kind and compassionate as their female counterparts. Male nurses are probably why they stopped wearing caps.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:22 PM

I'm a retired nurse and felt the same when we stopped using caps. It was a big deal, that capping ceremony - it was hard work and it was something to achieve after the first year. The second year we got our stripe and when we graduated we got our pin in another ceremony. It's true about knowing what school or college you went to by what cap they wore. When i first graduated, you couldn't wear pantsuits and were sent home to change into a 'proper' uniform.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:02 PM

When my sister who is a nurse was still working, she would dress in her white dress, stockings, shoes and cap on Nurse's Day. The other nurses and the patients loved it!
Old 06-02-2016, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by jjs56 View Post
My Mom was a nurse. Her cap was actually a heavy piece of cloth in the shape of a rectangle with small convex curve on one long edge. She would heavily starch it and then shape it into the proper cap shape for her school. Different schools had different style caps. I think nursing students still have pin ceremonies, but I don't think they do caps anymore. My Mom was from the day of dresses only and white from head to toe. If you find a cap today that's stitched together, it may not be authentic.
My Mom graduated from nursing school in 1928 and her hat was rectangle with one rounded side (I know she made several out of sheets at one point because she could not find the fabric she needed) - she would soak it in starch. She had these shank buttons that were connected with a small ring and used them to button the hat together -- the hat was put together like a piece of origami . I do know that her hat was what the graduates from her school wore. Her last job was working in a nursing home in 1980 then we had her move closer to us.