Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone own a Babylock Imagine serger? >

Does anyone own a Babylock Imagine serger?

Does anyone own a Babylock Imagine serger?

Old 06-01-2016, 03:38 PM

Default Does anyone own a Babylock Imagine serger?

Recently I purchased the Imagine serger and read the manual and saw the dvd it came with to learn how to thread it. That wasn't a problem except when I ran the machine the needle it came with broke. So I put in a new one that came with the machine. Again I ran it as a test and again the needle broke. Anyone can think of what I'm doing wrong? I threaded it the way I read it and followed the dvd and it did stitch out but then the left needle broke and its been the left needle. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:10 PM

Are you pulling on the material. If not, then take it back since you recently purchased itl

I got a gently used one when the previous owner traded up. Darn, no DVD with it, but the store personnel took the time to demonstrate and then let me play around with it. I love not having to wait til my tremors stop before threading it. Mine serges like a dream.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:27 PM

I've got a Babylock Imagine but never had trouble with the needles breaking. Looked at my manual and it's not something they offer advice on - which is weird. Looked at their website and it wasn't any help either. Did you get it from a dealer? Maybe call them tomorrow if you can. Every time I thread mine or change a needle , I have to look at my manual. Seems like it is rather particular as far as this needs to be set a certain way, this needs to be another way. I've never used it a lot until lately but find myself going to it more and more. It is a really nice sewing machine. If I had a memory, it would help. LOL. I know the flat part of the needle faces the back. Maybe it isn't pushed up into the little socket far enough? That's all I can think of. Not much help. Sorry about that. Hope you get it going. We are right outside of Pensacola - just a few miles into AL.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:37 PM

http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php?topic=10527.0
This forum answers your question. It's the thread getting hung up on a rough spot on the cone, putting enough tension on the needle to bend it.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:24 PM

excess tension or upper looper out of alignment. I have an Evolve and the only time I've broken a needle is when the upper looper got slightly twisted and was hitting the needle and with one bad spool of thread that wasn't wound correctly and actually would not unwind properly.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:27 AM

Never had one bit of problem with mine. Is it possible you don't have that needle pushed up high enough? There is a difference in height of them. Just thinking of possiblilities.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:43 AM

There is a Babylock serger group on Facebook. Lots of information there!
Old 06-02-2016, 05:32 AM

Have you got the needle all the way into the holder - flat side to back? You can just see the top of the needle when it is inserted right. (Dealer gave me that hint years ago)

The other thing - take out the right needle and set it up for 3 thread stitching. Using the handwheel sew a couple of stitches. If your needle is off, bent, you will be able to spot the problem a lot easier.

Also check the stitch finger and open the cover while manually taking a stitch. If needle is hitting looper, you will see it and then get it to a dealer to fix.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:32 PM

thank you all for your comments and advice. I did make sure that the needle was totally in and I do believe that one of the cones was twisted. What I will do is switch out the cones, make sure they are not twisted, check the needles by moving the hand wheel to see if the needle is not hitting the loopers and take a deep breath! LOL! I'll let you all know what happens.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:36 AM

Have you checked with where you bought it from or from the website. I have the Ovation and love it. You have to make sure the needle is all the way up inside and going right direction. Maybe the one that broke after stitchout was right but had not been tight enough and as it stitched it loosened up and came down lower. I've never had a problem with mine but I'd get it checked. Most companies, brother, viking etc have a place to ask questions. I've done that with Viking and they email me in a day or two with possible solution. Also, check the needles, make sure the ones that came with it are the ones meant for it. It wouldn't be the first time something was packaged with the wrong part or missing screws.

Are you threading the machine with the pressure foot up. The same rule applies with sergers as with machines, it will mess with the tension if you thread the machine with it down. I put mine down only when I'm getting ready to put thread thru the needle, the rest of the time its up.

Last edited by romanojg; 06-05-2016 at 06:38 AM.