Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can we talk titanium blades ? >

Can we talk titanium blades ?

Can we talk titanium blades ?

Old 06-03-2016, 02:03 PM

Default Can we talk titanium blades ?

I purchased (brand name long forgotten) a pgk of 5 titanium 45 MM rotary blades a while back at a local big box store. I really liked them, they were sharp and stayed that way for a long time... best thing was they were only $15. and some change. Well, naturally they don't carry titanium any longer. After searching the web, my question is: are all titanium blades created equal? There are many different brands to choose from, some I have never heard of and prices are all over the place. Can any body who uses titanium blades stear me in the right direction? I am getting low on my supply and would rather have them on hand WHEN I need them rather than run to the closest fabric type store 55 mile round trip from home... (of course I could always gather a few quilting friends, leave early and make a ROAD TRIP out of it - lunch, Trader Joes, hit all the LQS (which are sadly dwindling !! now THERE is an idea!!))) thanks in advance !
Old 06-03-2016, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

I buy Titanium coated rotary blades at Walmart. They last a long time. If I put a nick in the blade it's like any other, it's toast.

Last edited by Onebyone; 06-03-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:50 PM

go to walmart.com:

http://www.walmart.com/search/?query...rotary+blades+

10 pack $31.87
Old 06-03-2016, 06:32 PM
Power Poster

Better deal here, but I haven't tried them. http://www.amazon.com/Imperial-Globa...er+blade+45+mm

I also wonder if there is a difference from one to another. I've used the Harbor Freight blades and was very satisfied with them, but then I found a bad one. Even throwing that one out, they were a good buy. But I would like to try the titanium ones, especially if these at about $2 per blade are any good.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

One of my friends just bought some Titanium blades at MSQC. She loves them.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:09 PM

I went to the Amazon link above for rotary blades. It is odd that every product review was 5 star. Free blades were given to all the users for free in exchange for a product review. ALL the reviews. Odd.

Last edited by Crispy_Frog; 06-04-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Better deal here, but I haven't tried them. http://www.amazon.com/Imperial-Globa...er+blade+45+mm

I also wonder if there is a difference from one to another. I've used the Harbor Freight blades and was very satisfied with them, but then I found a bad one. Even throwing that one out, they were a good buy. But I would like to try the titanium ones, especially if these at about $2 per blade are any good.
There is a big difference in blades. Harbor Freight blades are not worth the time it takes to reply to this post. I buy my blades at JoAnn's when I have a 50 or 60 percent off coupon.

Last edited by paoberle; 06-05-2016 at 03:28 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Crispy_Frog View Post
I went to the Amazon link above for rotary blades. It is odd that every product review was 5 star. Free blades were given to all the users for free in exchange for a product review. ALL the reviews. Odd.
Harbor Fright blades are awful and they get rave reviews by many mostly because of how cheap they are. I can see where many will rave about blades because they were free. LOL I have tried many different brands of titanium blades and so far all have been very good regardless of cost.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:36 AM

I have bought most of my blades on eBay and they seem fine to me. I do like titanium too, seem sharper to me. I'm great keeping my machines cleaned and oiled, but I sure forget to change my blades.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:29 AM

I have used Olfa and Harbor Freight. They all seem fine to me. I keep the blade and casing clean, and closed when not in use. I also have one of those "pinking" blades, but to be honest, I am scared to use it. I would like to try the titanium blades one day, but I have quite a few regular ones I purchased on Ebay.