Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice wanted, please >

Advice wanted, please

Advice wanted, please

Old 06-24-2016, 08:08 AM

Default Advice wanted, please

I will soon take possession of my brand new sewing machine, a Juki HZL - DX7, and I am determined to get out of my comfort zone in terms of free-motion quilting. I would really like to learn how to do feathers, since they are so pretty and seem so versatile. My problem is that when I google classes, lessons and tutorials, etc. so many come up that I am overwhelmed. I think that the Patsy Thompson's class on Craftsy "Ultimate Free-Motion Feathers" might be very good but then I see that she has dvd's. I also realize that there are many other classes out there. That is why I would like advice from you very knowledgeable ladies. Where do you think I should begin? PS. I am a very visual learner. Thank you in advance.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:34 AM

I took a class from Patsy Thompson at a show and have both of her craftsy classes. She got me more confident in quilting and my feathers look great so don't hesitate on her classes. and if you get to take a class in person with her I would do it. I also love Cindy Needham on craftsy as well. Practicing drawing feathers on paper or one of those magnadoodles really helps
Old 06-24-2016, 09:20 AM

Drawing feathers on paper has to be one of the best suggestions ever! Remember to practice from the top of the page, as well as from the bottom and from right and left edges. Practice until it is "second nature" ... I have had my Juki DX7 since April, and have used it a lot. It's a great machine. I've used it for piecing, quilting and used the decorative stitches for crazy quilt blocks. You might want to look up a thread I posted recently on a problem I'm having with the needle hole slide plate. It's probably an isolated problem on my machine, but you might want to check it out.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:19 AM

My advice is to make placemat size practice squares and go for it. I have a friend that has been working on feathers for the past 4 years. They take practice, practice, practice. Watch videos, everyone seems to make them slightly different. But all the classes in the world won't make up for experience. Once you have filled a placemat, bind it and donate it to a good cause. All your practice won't be wasted.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:39 AM

I taught myself with the Hooked on Feathers book by Sally Terry.

https://www.amazon.com/Hooked-Feathe.../dp/1574329731
Old 06-24-2016, 11:03 AM

It takes LOTS of practice....start with paper or a dry erase board. Repetition is the key. Once you think you have got it practice some more before you go to fabric and thread. Muscle, hand and eye control all need strengthening. Also before you start on a day of quilting do some warm ups on paper or your dry erase board. Even if I have done a panto on my Gammil repeatedly I will still trace my finger over the pattern to refresh my brain connecting the design. .......jmho
Old 06-24-2016, 09:47 PM
Power Poster

I agree with Patricia. You may find it easier to follow a line at first. Go look and buy a feather stencil that will work for future projects. Remember, it takes practice to make consistent FMQ stitching so following a line will make it one less thing to worry about where you are going next. Then when you have your stitches down pat, go looking for the self quilting feathers.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:58 PM

Leah Day does 365 patterns. She is very good in discussing the set up of the machine and then giving confidence to try new ideas including feathers.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:48 AM

Leah Day's "Building Blocks" pattern and videos helped me a lot! You purchase the patterns and the step by step videos are free. Here is a pic of the finished project. She has you piece 3 or 4 of the same block and shows you how to quilt each one differently.
Please be kind re: the pic - I was a beginner, just learning to FMQ,
[ATTACH=CONFIG]552789[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552790[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  
Old 06-25-2016, 05:07 AM

Try http://theinboxjaunt.com/ for lots of great practice ideas. I and a friend challenged each other to work for 15 min a day on these patterns, and we gained a lot of confidence and I even used the sandwiched squares that I worked on to make a quilt as you go baby quilt which I sold on Etsy. It was lots of fun.