Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hera Marker >

Hera Marker

Hera Marker

Old 07-09-2016, 06:24 PM
Power Poster

Default Hera Marker

This thing has been kicking around in my sewing room for years but I never had much success using it to mark a quilt top. I saw a pin on Pinterest on how to use it. Imagine my surprise when it actually worked for marking cross hatch lines so I could do the orange peel design on a pillow back. I always tried to just mark the top but it needs the batt under the top to show good lines. Here is a picture of the marks on a scrap so you can clearly see the lines. I will definitely use it more often now.[ATTACH=CONFIG]553684[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 07-09-2016, 06:37 PM
Power Poster

I've used it to score many different things. I have 2. Got one at JoAnn's and another at an estate sale for 10cents. Saw quilter use it for marking as she went along for hand quilting.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:50 PM

I have one of those that I have only used a few times because it didn't seem to mark all that well. I may start using it more now that I know how. lol
Old 07-09-2016, 10:44 PM

I have several of these bone folders I used to use for dad making, must try it on my quilts
Old 07-09-2016, 10:51 PM

I have never tried it. What makes it work? the thin edge or is the marker made out of a special material?
Old 07-10-2016, 12:58 AM

OK - this thread has solved a mystery for me. I inherited a little unknown thing-a-ma-bob which is about 3 inches long - didn't know what it was, but it was found in a box with some old tiny spools of thread. The previous owner was a very skilled quilter, I know that. The little bronze middle piece has Chinese characters marked on the other side. I put it with my sewing implements, thought it was a corner-pusher-outer when I used it to turn some fabric rightside out. Now I think it's a marker for the same function Tartan mentioned. One side has a flat surface, the other side, pictured, is slightly rounded. What else could it be?
Attached Thumbnails photo-7-10-16-1.42-am-2.jpg  
Old 07-10-2016, 01:56 AM
Power Poster

i just bought one but haven't used it yet. thanks for the tip
Old 07-10-2016, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by K-Roll View Post
OK - this thread has solved a mystery for me. I inherited a little unknown thing-a-ma-bob which is about 3 inches long - didn't know what it was, but it was found in a box with some old tiny spools of thread. The previous owner was a very skilled quilter, I know that. The little bronze middle piece has Chinese characters marked on the other side. I put it with my sewing implements, thought it was a corner-pusher-outer when I used it to turn some fabric rightside out. Now I think it's a marker for the same function Tartan mentioned. One side has a flat surface, the other side, pictured, is slightly rounded. What else could it be?
I think yours might be dual (or more) purpose, it looks like a good point turner outer! and it looks like a good hera marker!
Old 07-10-2016, 03:26 AM

A lot of the notions that I've purchased has been because I saw it or them used by Eleanor Burns. I saw her using the Hera marker years ago and I especially like using it with my straight line quilting. I'm nowhere near mine at the moment but I also thought it said how to use it on the packaging (yes I do keep my original packaging).
Old 07-10-2016, 03:45 AM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=Jane Quilter;7598305]I have never tried it. What makes it work? the thin edge or is the marker made out of a special material?[/QUOTE. i put the piece of fabric with a 80/20 batt behind it on my sewing table. I placed my ruler where I wanted the line and I used the thin curved edge to draw along the ruler (pressing firmly) pulling it towards myself. I have an arborite sewing table so I didn't have to worry about leaving marks on my table. I would protect the surface of a wood table.