Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Replacing zipper on sweatshirt >

Replacing zipper on sweatshirt

Replacing zipper on sweatshirt

Old 07-12-2016, 01:16 PM

Default Replacing zipper on sweatshirt

The pull tab on the zipper on my husband's full zip hooded sweatshirt has broken off. I thought maybe I could just use a piece of wire of something similar but there is just no way to attach it. I saw some kits for sale but am skeptical so I am writing here to see if anyone has any suggestions. I really hate the idea of replacing the whole zipper but it may come to that as the sweatshirt is still in great shape. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Wildernessties View Post
The pull tab on the zipper on my husband's full zip hooded sweatshirt has broken off. I thought maybe I could just use a piece of wire of something similar but there is just no way to attach it. I saw some kits for sale but am skeptical so I am writing here to see if anyone has any suggestions. I really hate the idea of replacing the whole zipper but it may come to that as the sweatshirt is still in great shape. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
You'll need to replace the zipper pull. Separating zippers, like on jackets & coats can be repaired but it's not real easy. You have to take the end stop off & Unsew the end. The separating zippers use a "box end pull". I found this site that explains it in detail.... http://dooziedoesit.blogspot.com/201...replacing.html

If you google: "Replacing the zipper pull on jacket" you'll also find some youtube videos on how to do it.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:07 AM

Take it to your local dry cleaners and see if they are equipped to do mending and alterations. Many employ experienced sewists to do this kind of work and it's really probably cheaper and easier than trying to do it yourself
Old 07-13-2016, 03:25 AM

I agree. I would rather pay to have it done than spend my time and possible frustration on it. But that's just me.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:47 AM

Thank you for the ideas. I did try a piece of wire but that doesn't work. I like the link you sent, Feather3. That was very helpful. I then did the google search and found those kits I'd seen before along with some videos that I haven't watched yet. I may just order one of the kits now and see if I can do it myself. I don't have a cleaner close by so that option isn't a good one for me.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
how about a thing, brass zipper, the tiny ones, or a piece of wire.
I have used a paper clip, slide it through the zipper carriage, then slid around to the closed small end, then used acrylic yarn on a darning needle, to weave in and out through the center of the paper clip to fill it in. Tie a secure knot when it is all filled in, and the edges are padded a bit. They usually outlast the sweatshirt doing this.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:14 AM

Something like a key ring should work. But, if you have to replace the zipper, I saw a great way to do it. Instead of ripping the old one out, this person cut it out as close to the stitching as possible. The she sewed the new one in with the new stitch line right next to the old. It makes the zipper a tiny bit more visible and gives 2 rows of stitches as 'topstitching', but it is a sweatshirt and it is so, so, so much quicker and easier.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:31 PM

Check out Sewing with Nance on u-tube or her web site. She did this on one of her shows.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:53 AM

Yes try Nancy Zieman's website. Just last week on our local PBS station she showed how to do this by cutting the old zipper close to the stitching line, fraying out any left over zipper tape and then using basting tape to secure the zipper in place while you sew it. She used a ribbon on the back side to make it look better. Stitch along the previous stitching line with matching thread and you can't even see it.She said use a zipper shorter than the opening as it is very hard to turn down the excess with the metal attached. Also showed how to insert a new zipper into a pair of front zip trousers or slacks. Very clever.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by lclang View Post
Take it to your local dry cleaners and see if they are equipped to do mending and alterations witj astroworld clothes bought from astroworld merch here. Many employ experienced sewists to do this kind of work and it's really probably cheaper and easier than trying to do it yourself
Great. I agree with your point.