Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Drunkard's Path Templates - does it matter? >

Drunkard's Path Templates - does it matter?

Drunkard's Path Templates - does it matter?

Old 07-31-2016, 09:59 AM

Default Drunkard's Path Templates - does it matter?

I'm going to sign up for a class on curved piecing and the teacher recommends purchasing Elisa's Back Porch design 7" curved templates. I found another drunkard's path template set for less but the dimensions are a little different - the short side on Elisa's measures about 2" while on the other brand it measures about 3". Does it matter the exact dimensions of the template when making a drunkard's path? Is it a problem to have the short dimension of the template shorter or longer? Thanks.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

No, it won't ,matter the size of the template. Just that your quilt won't be the same size.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:04 AM

No, I just think it will affect the overall look of your quilt as it will have different ratios than the teachers. But it would be the same process and if you like the look that goes with the ones you found, I don't see why you would have to have the specific set the teacher recommends.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

Couple of things. Is the template just a recommendation from the instructor, or is it a specific part of the course materials? Some templates have additional features, such as pinholes that allow you to mark seam intersections. Be sure and compare. If they finish different sizes, any square up instructions or border dimensions provided by the instructor will be different. Personally, I would contact the instructor before hand to make sure your substitution will be OK. It takes hours of time to develop a course and if folks bring unexpected tools it can throw a wrench into the schedule.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

Generally speaking, it makes the class A LOT easier for both the students and instructor when everyone is using the same tools and has the same book/pattern/instruction

Last edited by bearisgray; 07-31-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

If the instructor is using a specific ruler there are two reasons. Make profit or ease of use for instructor. I think most instructors know the rulers they are comfortable with and can better show and explain how to make the pattern using them. I always add the supply list to the cost of the class before signing up.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
If the instructor is using a specific ruler there are two reasons. Make profit or ease of use for instructor. I think most instructors know the rulers they are comfortable with and can better show and explain how to make the pattern using them. I always add the supply list to the cost of the class before signing up.
I agree about adding the supply list of the class cost before signing up.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:04 PM

Thank you for the replies. Of course I should just ask the teacher! I will do that.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:44 PM

Get in touch with the instructor immediately and explain you have found this other set. Will it make a difference or be a problem in the class. If you purchase yours without asking and then go to the class where the tutor is offering for sale the one she used to those people who haven't purchased one, you will end up with 2 sets.
enjoy the class.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:23 AM

You are lucky to find Drunkard's Path templates. My guild did a great workshop with Marianne Haas http://www.thequiltingedge.com/ and in the City of Victoria there were only a couple Drunkards Path Templates to be found.

Marianne is a great teacher and was able to 'make it work' as we used different templates of different sizes as well as paper templates.