Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt Panels >

quilt Panels

quilt Panels

Old 08-26-2016, 08:42 AM

Default quilt Panels

I am fairly new to quilting. I would like to make a quilt from a quilt panel. Is there anywhere I may go to learn how to make a full size quilt around a quilt panel? I have looked at several web sites and just seems confusing.

I thought about buying software but cannot find anything. Would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you for your advice.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

If you have a specific panel in mind, go to that fabric manufacturer's web site. They often have a sample quilt made from that panel. You can also google panel quilts which should give you some ideas. Printed panels are different sizes. They usually (but not always) are about 42", which is the width of the fabric. From there they vary by width. If you are not using a pattern specifically for that panel, you may need to do some math to make the surround come out even. if you go to a quilt shop, they often have coordinating fabrics, sometimes with smaller panels. What specifically are you finding confusing?
Old 08-26-2016, 09:30 AM

All of it! I have no idea how to get started. Panel is 24'' x 44''.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

Full size batting is 84"x96". You need to measure the bed and see if that size or a little smaller or larger is what size you need. Ok, your panel is 24 so you need to add 30" to each side of the panel. Your length is 44 so you need to add 26" to the top and bottom. This is going to be quite a challenge being a newbie.

Can you tell us the manufacturer of the panel and the name on the selvage. That might help us to know if there is a coornating print that goes with the panel. I would draw a pattern on Eq7 if I knew what the panel was.

Here is a panel from the movie Frozen. There are two smaller borders, then simple squares, another border and then the wider outside border. The trick is to find what size the widths are to get to your final goal.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pane...axdWVUTtHMM%3A
Old 08-26-2016, 10:14 AM

Panels are hard. At least to me. If you think of it like making rows around the panel and maintain the same proportions, it's easier. Whenever I work on a panel it seems like I can get enough width by circling it with normal quilt blocks, then I have to add a top and bottom row of something else to get the length I want.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:04 AM

This panel was given to me. Neighbor added green strips of fabric around all 4 sides which measurements now completed measures 26x44 1/2 inches now. Which I can take off strips, leave on or trim sides. Top and bottom strips are 2 inches not including 1/4 in seam allowance. sides 2 1/2 not including seam allowance. I was going to cut off 1/2 inch which would make 26x 44. That is all I can tell you. Bear country found picture of it on internet. Hope I have not confused you now. Thinking about putting bear claws blocks around. Maybe giving up all together.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:26 AM
Power Poster

Ok, what finished size are you aiming for?
Old 08-26-2016, 11:48 AM

Full size quilt. As long as I can work around the panel to be center in middle of quilt. Hope that answers your question.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:05 PM

OK, I found this site that has some complementary fabrics:
http://patchworkplus-quilting.com/fa...r-country.html

The site says the fabric is by Quilting Treasures.

Here's another site:
https://www.bearcreekquiltingcompany...country-panel/
I've purchased fabric from this company in the past, and it appears that they may have even more complimentary fabrics AND... they have the free pattern to go with it:
https://www.bearcreekquiltingcompany...quilt-pattern/

And the pattern does exactly what you had mentioned - using Bear Claw blocks.

Hope this helps!! Good luck, and let us see your quilt when you finish it!
Old 08-26-2016, 06:17 PM

https://www.bearcreekquiltingcompany...quilt-pattern/

this uses your panel and is a beauty...