Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Schmetz needles >

Schmetz needles

Schmetz needles

Old 08-28-2016, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Just to complicate things further, I took a class recently and the instructor said the new thing is to use an embroidery needle! Anyone try this yet? I haven't.
Compare a 90/14 quilting needle and a 90/14 embroidery needle from the same company. I know for Pfaff Inspira needles there is zero difference in the needles other than the color of the band; red for quilting, purple for embroidery.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:36 PM

My go-to needle is a 80/12. That's usually where I start unless I'm sewing on denim or something equally heavy. I have used a 70/10 for silk and finer fabrics.

Stitchnripper, I don't know why you would use an embroidery needle. I do use microtex needles which were recommended to me when I bought my Bernina. They are very sharp and (as I remember) somewhat like an embroidery needle. I use embroidery needles but only when I'm using rayon or other decorative threads. I"m not sure what the advantage of an embroidery needle over a microtex would be. Did she elaborate?
Old 08-28-2016, 05:39 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

i never know what needle to use so this info will help me greatly,,thanks ladies!
Old 08-28-2016, 05:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
My go-to needle is a 80/12. That's usually where I start unless I'm sewing on denim or something equally heavy. I have used a 70/10 for silk and finer fabrics.

Stitchnripper, I don't know why you would use an embroidery needle. I do use microtex needles which were recommended to me when I bought my Bernina. They are very sharp and (as I remember) somewhat like an embroidery needle. I use embroidery needles but only when I'm using rayon or other decorative threads. I"m not sure what the advantage of an embroidery needle over a microtex would be. Did she elaborate?

She he said something about it being able to pierce the fabric better. Honestly I am one of those who mostly changes a needle when it breaks. I doubt I will get embroidery needles. I know everyone has their preferences.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Just to complicate things further, I took a class recently and the instructor said the new thing is to use an embroidery needle! Anyone try this yet? I haven't.
I know some people use embroidery needles for thread painting, but haven't heard of it for quilting. It's a ball point needle, so you're more likely to have improperly formed or skipped stitches for regular quilting. Quilting needles are round enough, but at least are tapered to help with curves. I'm not sure what the advantage of embroidery needles would be for regular quilting.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

I use the size 14 needle for piecing and FMQ quilting.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:15 AM

For years I used a universal 80/12 needle - that's what I was told to do. I did notice that the stitches looks very slightly asked - not marching along like little soldiers. But then I learned why I shouldn't use them - they are right between a sharp and a ball point. When I switched to a sharp/embroidery needle size 75/11 I really noticed the difference - so much sharper and the stitches looked much better. I use 75/11 jeans needles but they are hard to find anymore - and yes, jeans needles are very sharp and thin. Most people think they are really big and large - like 90/14. When I can't find any more I still try to use the 75 size. And I always use a 90/14 for paper piecing and lower my stitch length to 1.5 or so. Perforated better. The best quality thread always works for me.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 09-06-2016, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

I use the same....