Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine and hand quilting on the same quilt? >

Machine and hand quilting on the same quilt?

Machine and hand quilting on the same quilt?

Old 09-01-2016, 08:15 AM

Default Machine and hand quilting on the same quilt?

Has anybody here ever seen, or done, hand and machine quilting on the same quilt? I have some vintage blocks that I have set on point in a quilt. Each block has a frame around it, and the center designs are different pieced stars. I plan to machine SITD around all the frames. Those stitches will be hidden in the seams, but make the frames stand up a little. (Haven't decided how to quilt the large setting triangles.) I'm wondering if it would be ok to hand quilt an outline around the stars? I would appreciate any comments, suggestions or ideas. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:19 AM

I do it all the time. I like the continuous sides of sashes and big blocks to get them stabilized with the sewing machine and then I hand quilt around all sorts of things and I always machine sew the binding on the back and then hand-sew the other side of the binding which I can then say "yep...there was a lot of hand-sewing/quilting on all the quilts I create!!"

Last edited by QuiltingHaven; 09-01-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:58 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

It is your quilt. Do what you want. Of course hand and machine quilting have been mixed on the same quilt for many years.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

I have also done it several times. Here is a link to an old post with pictures of one.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ar-t25770.html
Old 09-01-2016, 11:07 AM

Yes, definitely yes to using both on a quilt. Adding accents of hand quilting looks very nice, I think.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

Sure, I've done it many times. Sometimes I get the hand part done first then finish up with machine, sometimes I do machine first then hand- just depends on the project. Many people incorporate hand and machine work in a quilt. I also hand piece some and machine piece in the same quilt.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:09 PM

Absolutely! I just finished and gave to my bank clerk...I outlined the cats with hand quilting, then machine quilted the 16patch blocks in random FMQ. I wrapped the backing to the front for binding and hand sewed that. She so loves cats but her hubby is allergic. He won't be sneezing at all now.[ATTACH=CONFIG]557305[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2016.jpg  
Old 09-01-2016, 02:18 PM

I've done it. I will machine quilt around my applique & hand quilt inside the applique.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

You can do what you want. I like the look of the mix.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:44 PM

Thanks everybody. I have some antique quilts but none have both machine and hand quilting. Most are machine or hand pieced but entirely hand quilted. The way the bear paw blocks are quilted is what I had in mind for my star blocks. I am so happy to learn it can be done using both. I was just going to ask if anyone had any pictures of the 'combo quilting.' There is nowhere else on this earth like this quilt board. You are the best! Cute cat quilt, too. Anybody else got pix?