Class fun

Old 09-01-2016, 08:43 PM

Default Class fun

Hi everyone, I am usually over in the vintage machines forum but I would like to ask those that take classes what have any of your class instructors done to make a class you took extra fun? You know something extra besides the actual project. I am teaching a class soon and want to take a break and have a quick game of some sorts where someone wins something? or?

The class will be a difficult one for the beginners because it is not really quilting but more of a mixed media fabric collage into jewelry. I don't want everyone stressing out ( because it looks a lot harder than it is) so some sort of 15 min. party break would help lighten things up and make it a memorable class. Any suggestions? Maybe something involving chocolate or fat quarters?? I am off to bed so I will check back to this thread tomorrow. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Lorraine
Old 09-01-2016, 09:17 PM

I like when the instructor has a chance for those taking the class to win something--maybe a project they sell, or supplies to do the project again at home. And one thing I really like is there being a break and chance to talk individually to the instructor, have a snack or drink, etc.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:08 PM

A break for a snack or drink is one way to get the class talking to each other and mixing.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:15 PM

Something along the lines of a "Dirty Santa" game would be fun! Use FQs, chocolates, and other inexpensive quilt-y items for the gifts. You could provide the gifts, or you could have each person bring one. It's generally a Christmas game, but I don't see any reason it couldn't be played any time of year. Every time I've played it, it's been HILARIOUS!

How to play: http://www.celebrations.com/c/read/h...ay-dirty-santa

(It's only called "dirty" because people can "steal" the gifts from each other. There's nothing actually "dirty" about it.)
Old 09-01-2016, 10:30 PM

Maybe if you did not want to do some sort of game you could have everyone draw a number out of a basket when they came in & midway through the class you could draw a number or two out of the basket & the drawn number(s) could win a prize (fat quarter or pattern or maybe you could make something like a sewing machine caddy with pockets that hangs down in front of your machine to hold small gadgets used in sewing) Maybe also during this time the students could drink or snack on something & mingle around to look at each other's progress.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:21 AM

Thanks peeps, great ideas!
Old 09-02-2016, 10:26 AM

I took a class where the teacher handed out hello kitty plastic rings to quilters who did something outstanding...I got mine for sewing many things backwards..more than once.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
I took a class where the teacher handed out hello kitty plastic rings to quilters who did something outstanding...I got mine for sewing many things backwards..more than once.
I would definitely be winning this one!

Hey, with the summer Olympics in Japan in four years I bet Hello Kitty will have lots of neat Olympic "stuff".
Old 09-03-2016, 02:15 PM

One of my friends asks for the first person to show her something like a fifty cent piece, a chopstick, an item with a logo, a flashlight etc. and gives little prizes for those during her breaks.