Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
favorite cutting mat >

favorite cutting mat

favorite cutting mat

Old 09-09-2016, 11:00 AM

Default favorite cutting mat

am in need of a new cutting mat as mine has warped. Don't know how it happened, usually lay them flat but occasionally they are stood on edge. Anyway, now as least one and maybe two need to be replaced. I currently have a June Taylor and a couple of Fiskars but am not overly pleased with any of them. Blades seem to dull quickly on both brands. Would like some suggestions for those you all like best. Saw one at a show not long ago, advertised as PVC & guaranteed for life, but of course, thought it was too expensive at the time & later read that nearly all mats are PVC but none that I saw were guaranteed. Thank you for your valued opinions, lots of excellent experience on this website.

Sandee in MO
Old 09-09-2016, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

The last one I ordered was this pink/blue one. I like it because it's reversible but you have to be aware that the measurements are 23x35, not 24x36. It actually fits on my table better than the true 24x36. I can usually see my fabrics against the pink better than against the green on my other mats, and if not then I can turn it over and use the blue side. I figure it should last twice as long as non-reversible mats, which makes it a good buy. https://www.amazon.com/US-Art-Supply...t+self+healing
Old 09-09-2016, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

i love my green self healing mats. when you find a replacement mat, don't forget that you can cut some of the smaller parts of the old one to use for smaller pieces in smaller places.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:25 PM

Try soaking your mats in warm water with white vinegar (about 1/2 cup) then lay flat. You may not need to replace your mats. Learned this on Fons & Porter
Old 09-09-2016, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

A worn blade doesn't mean the mat does it. A blade needs to be replaced often, I replace my blade at the first skip.
I have many different brands of mats. They are all alike to me. None of them are made to last for over a couple of years. Right now I'm using a Fons and Porter no line mat from Omnigrid. It's fine.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:55 PM

Have you tried going to Arizona and laying it flat in your car for the day?
Old 09-09-2016, 04:43 PM

Once I accidentally ironed something on my mat. The mat didn't like it and warped immediately. It was one of my favorite mats, and I couldn't bear to throw it out. I put it on a table and put some heavy things on top and forgot about it. After a good amount of time I remembered and to my surprise it was flat again. It is an Olfa green mat and is many years old. I now have two and both are my favorites. They seem to last forever.
Sue
Old 09-09-2016, 05:32 PM
Power Poster

I recently replaced my white/clear mat with a green mat. I can't not believe what a difference in trying to see on it is.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:38 PM

I have two large green Olfa mats for a more than 4 years now and love them! They are a little more, but well worth it. The only annoying thing is that the brand new mat has s strong chemical/rubber odor, so I just laid it on the floor in a spare bedroom under the bed for a couple of weeks until that dissipated.

Last edited by Jeanne S; 09-09-2016 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:41 PM
Power Poster

I use the green Olfa mats. Love them.