Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about extending cloth leaders from crib to queen size. >

Question about extending cloth leaders from crib to queen size.

Question about extending cloth leaders from crib to queen size.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:18 PM

Question Question about extending cloth leaders from crib to queen size.

I have a Grace Queen frame with Start Right cloth leaders. I originally set the frame up in Crib Size but now I have extended it to Queen. When I first set it up, I cut the leaders and hemmed them to crib size as instructed, but now I need to add enough leader cloth to make the Queen size. I'm not sure if I need to seam them together or if I can just attach another piece separately. Any thoughts or advice?
Old 09-13-2016, 01:14 PM

The less seams there are, the better. I think you'd be alright to make a separate piece. If you have the frame with Fabri-fast Tubing, you'd want one full piece of tubing to keep the ends together. You can order the Fabri-fast Tubing directly from Grace on their website. Here's a link... http://www.graceframe.com/site/frame...lacement-parts
Old 09-14-2016, 07:55 AM

Thank you Annette. I have attached the extra pieces and overlapped at the center about 1.5 inches. I think this will work. I used the extra bits of tubing I had. I will load a practice piece tonight and that will be the true test. If it doesn't hold, I'll order more tubing but I sure wish they didn't crimp it like they do when they package it. I don't know why they just can't roll it so it doesn't have creases in it.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
The less seams there are, the better. I think you'd be alright to make a separate piece. If you have the frame with Fabri-fast Tubing, you'd want one full piece of tubing to keep the ends together. You can order the Fabri-fast Tubing directly from Grace on their website. Here's a link... http://www.graceframe.com/site/frame...lacement-parts
I bought fish tank tubing from wall mart. Much cheaper and it works just fine!
Old 09-19-2016, 08:20 AM

Wow, thanks! Fish tank tubing . . . I never would have thought of that. I'll check it out. Thanks again!
Old 09-19-2016, 08:24 AM

As a follow up to my original question: This experiment failed! First I did the separate add on with an overlap. It didn't work well after testing, so I removed all the leaders and stitched them together. Remounted and now have them back on the frame with a large practice piece attached. I'm still not happy with it and also discovered that the Start-Right Leaders themselves are crooked. Measuring from one end to the other, they are off nearly 1/2" on the largest leader and 1/4" off on the other two. For well over $100 buying these, I'm very disappointed.

I may end up buying some canvas and starting over completely. What a frustrating ordeal this has been. Sigh. I just want to quilt something and have spent all this time fussing with the leaders. I know if they aren't right, I won't be happy with my quilts once I get going.