Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Magazines >

Quilting Magazines

Quilting Magazines

Old 09-15-2016, 05:09 PM

Default Quilting Magazines

What's all of your favorite quilt magazines out there? I've enjoyed "Quiltmaker" since I found my first issue in a thrift store eight years ago! While still living in New Zealand several years ago, I also would get "Austrailian Patchwork and Quilting". I haven't seen an issue since moving to the US, but they were great too! Quilting magazines are like a small Chrisrmas gift with every issue.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:20 PM

I too love "QuiltMaker". Another favorite is "McCall's Quilting". I have been a subscriber to both of these for several years now.

Occasionally, one of the others will catch my eye on the newsstand and I'll grab one here and there.

A number of years ago, I subscribed to "Quilter's Newsletter Magazine", but quickly found that it just did not suit my tastes or style. But I did hate to see them close the magazine. I can sort of understand how the Internet is eroding their subscriber base, but I'm very much a tactile person - I'd rather have a magazine or book in my hands - everything digital just does not satisfy that need to feel the paper. I don't own a Kindle, or other e-reader for that reason.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

I stopped all of my subscriptions because there was so much overlap between the magazines. Now I only pick up the occasional magazine if there's a pattern in it I can't live without. Have to agree that Quiltmaker is a good one.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:52 PM

I like Love of Quilting the best. I didn't realize Quilter's Newsletter was discontinuing.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I like Love of Quilting the best. I didn't realize Quilter's Newsletter was discontinuing.
Here's one place that gives a little detail:
http://whileshenaps.com/2016/07/quil...tbacks-fw.html
Old 09-15-2016, 06:12 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Except for American Quilter which is part of my American Quilters Society membership, I no longer buy quilting magazines. Occasionally I get to peruse some cast-offs at a guild meeting or two. But I adored the Australian magazines I used to see and realize I haven't seen one in ages. Miss them.

Jan in VA
Old 09-15-2016, 06:47 PM

I am so sad about QN, I loved it because it wasn't just patterns, there were such interesting articles! I enjoy Quilter's World magazine, always at least one or two patterns I really like-which can be dangerous! I don't feel McCall's is as good as it used to be. I like BH's American Patchwork & Quilting and Fons & Porter. I really enjoy the 4 Quilter's Sampler magazines that come out each season featuring LQS's around the country. Support your LQS!
Old 09-15-2016, 10:27 PM

Block is the only magazine I subscribe to. I love to read her stories. The patterns are simple, but simple is nice now and then. I have considered American Patchwork and Quilting, but so far have been too cheap to spend $30.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:41 AM

I love BH&G American Patchwok, Block, Primitive Quilts and Projects. I buy the Sampler when it hits the racks and adore it. McCall's is no longer a favorite and I will probably let that subscription lapse. The magazine is smaller and the quilters I followed are no longer associated in their "line up". I buy a magazine that is Australian when I see it in one of my local stores but it is really much more advanced than I am...still I strive.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:04 AM

My favorite is McCalls Quilting.