bias tape makers question

Old 10-10-2016, 08:33 AM

Default bias tape makers question

Just wondering if anyone has ever used these little bias tape makers & would like to know how effective/easy they are to use. I'm going to be making some masks for babies & young adults who must wear them due to compromised immune systems. The little ties are thin & long to tie around their heads & I'm thinking one of these tape makers would speed up the process of making the ties. I made my first ones by cutting the fabric, ironing it in the middle & then bringing the two sides up to the center & then folding everything over & sew.

Here's what those makers look like:

http://www.joann.com/search?q=bias+tape+makers
Old 10-10-2016, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

I really like my Clover bias tape makers. I can make bias tape very fast with them. My tips for using them are (1) starch the fabric before cutting the bias strips, (2) cut a long, tapering point in the fabric to make getting the tape started easy, and (3) keep the iron close to the tape maker's tip. You can use a pin underneath the tape maker to get the tape started. If I am making long lengths, I sometimes leave the iron in place after I have gotten the tape started, hold the tape maker in place with my left hand, and pull the tape from under the iron with my right hand. I have tried other brands but, in my opinion, the Clover brand is far superior. The directions tell you how wide to cut your strips but, if you forget, simply double the size of the opening and then subtract 1/8" inch to get your strip width.

There are Youtube videos that demonstrate these tape makers. Here is a link to one, not necessarily the best one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5KOjp4k7-o
Old 10-10-2016, 10:04 AM

I've never used anything except the Clover tapemakers. I second everything Prism said. They work really well.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

I too have been using clover bias tape makers for years, have them in about 5 sizes
Old 10-10-2016, 02:09 PM

I have the clover bias tape makers and do use them. However, if the bias tape isn't too wide, I simply take one of the long, glass head pins and pin it to my ironing board cover (into the cover, out for a a long way and back into the cover). I then thread the folded end of the bias fabric under the exposed part of the pin and pull and iron. (I learned this long before the bias tape makers were around.)
Old 10-11-2016, 04:06 AM
Power Poster

Thank you. I have some of those and never knew how they worked. There is also a set of rug braiders I've not tried either.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:07 AM
Power Poster

I thought I had a couple but can't find them.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:13 AM

I've had the Clover bias tape makers for years & never did use them. Then, one day, I decided I must try it. And I never looked back!
Old 10-11-2016, 04:16 AM

Default bias maker

They do work good. I watched a tutorial from Nancy Zieman and that helped. If you have a hot iron to press it as it comes out of the device it helps. I'm assuming you are talking about the metal ones and not the machines. If not, sorry
Old 10-11-2016, 06:41 AM

I got the best results with the Clover ones by doing this: once you have threaded the fabric into the tape maker, I pin the end down onto the ironing board with a fine silk pin (small head). Then I use the iron to slowly push the tape maker ahead. Be sure to push it in a straight line.