Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice please - Snaps and snap tools >

Advice please - Snaps and snap tools

Advice please - Snaps and snap tools

Old 10-23-2016, 08:52 AM

I also recommend Kamsnaps, they could give you advice on what size to use.
But I have arthritis & poor hand strength, difficult for me to operate the press but my husband & granddaughter are experts about it, sometimes I also have problems opening the snap (I put in on wallets) but have learned to hold my thumb very close to the snap when opening wallet.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:04 AM

Here are the directions for walker bags that I made for a charity. They are easy and turn out well.
DIRECTIONS TO MAKE A WALKER BAG

Supplies: 2 pieces of fabric 14-16 inches wide by 43 inches long.
2 3-inch pieces of Velcro of both the hook side and the loop side. (The two sides are different, just be sure you have one of each kind.)
Scissors, pins and a sewing machine.

1. Cut two pieces of fabric 14-16 inches wide by 43 inches long.

2. Place the two pieces of fabric right sides together and sew all around, leaving an opening to turn the fabric right sides out.

3. Turn fabric right sides out, turning under the fabric that has been left open for turning. Press both sides of fabric. Topstich all around the rectangle, enclosing the part that had been left open for turning.

4. You are now ready to put on the Velcro: Fold the fabric rectangle in half lengthwise and mark where a center line would be. If the bag is being made of two different fabrics, decide which fabric you want the pockets to be. On the same side of fabric as you want the pockets to be is where the Velcro will be placed.

5. Measure down 5 inches from the center line and over 1 ½ inch from the edge on both sides of center. This is where you will place the Velcro, with it going down, away from the center. (I place a small dot of super glue on the back of the Velcro to hold it in place until I can stitch it down.) On one side of center you will have the hook side of the Velcro and on the other side you will have the loop side of the Velcro.) Stitch or zigzag around the Velcro, keeping it securely in place.

6. Turn rectangle over so that the side that does not have the Velcro is facing up. Fold up the bottom of the rectangle to form the pockets. Fold it up about 8 inches, or to cover where the backside of the stitching where the Velcro was sewn. Pin in place. Sew around the fabric that is folded up, forming the pocket. Mark the vertical center and sew a line there, dividing the pocket into pockets. Do this for the other end of the rectangle, thus forming a pocket at each end. When placed on the walker, there will be pockets on both the outside and inside.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:07 AM

One good source for the snaps is www.KamSnaps.com. They have colored snaps in various sizes and the pliers to attach them.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by joivey View Post
Here are the directions for walker bags that I made for a charity. They are easy and turn out well.
Thanks!! I'm a little confused about your step 6. Could you post a picture by any chance? I understood the rest.

Last edited by KenmoreGal2; 10-23-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:04 PM

I can see where step 6 could be confusing. If I can find a picture, I'll post it. If not, maybe if you google how to make a walker bag it might be easier to understand.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:40 PM

Instead of Velcro or snaps, I would use those two part clips - the ones where one part slides into the other part and snaps closed. To open it, you depress two tabs along the sides and then it slides open.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by joivey View Post
I can see where step 6 could be confusing. If I can find a picture, I'll post it. If not, maybe if you google how to make a walker bag it might be easier to understand.
No worries JoAnn! There are tutes on the web. It's always nice to have someone who's done it personally explain it though.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:43 PM

this press n snap[ tool and bench mount is the best tool i have found in 40 years.
all metal no plastic to break. i have never had to cut off one snap applyed with this tool

http://www.sailrite.com/Pres-N-Snap-Fastener-Tool video
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/tech_d...DIRECTIONS.pdf
http://www.perfectfit.com/ zippers-velcro
http://www.sailrite.com/Pres-N-Snap-Fastener-Tool
http://www.wawak.com/Snap-Tool
http://www.wawak.com/Bench-Mount-for-Snap-Tool

Last edited by Phyllis nm; 10-23-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:38 PM

Our group has made approx 200 walker tote bags for donations to those in need. The feedback we have gotten on our pattern has been very good. We find they like the Velcro best due to arthritic hands, disabilities, weakness, etc. (No buttons/buttonholes). We cut the velcro the width of the straps (2") We have tweaked the pattern we use a bit. We have 2 pockets on front and back vs. 3 on 1 side/2 on other side. The larger pockets are easier for them to get their hands into. The side straps secure the bag from flopping back and forth. We have sewed decorative buttons on top of straps for some to make it look like it buttons.
This is the pattern: http://www.laurassewingstudio.com/Se...alker_bag.html
These are always appreciated. We also have made a single pocket with a strap (like the walker) to hold a cell phone for some. Canvas and home deco fabric are great for this project. Good luck
Old 10-24-2016, 04:59 AM

Wow, what interesting things I learn on this site. Thanks to everyone for all the info and links.