Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How to make machine sewn eyelets >

How to make machine sewn eyelets

How to make machine sewn eyelets

Old 10-24-2016, 12:52 PM

Default How to make machine sewn eyelets

After several searches and messages, a very kind and generous member of one of my on-line quilting groups, gave me her eyelet plate for my Pfaff 7570. I was elated...until I tried to use it. Although I followed the instructions, the area of the fabric with the hole ket popping off the little post-like appendage on the eyelet plate. And even though I went slowly, the thread would bunch up because the hooped fabric wouldn't move smoothly around. Has anyone made eyelets with this eyelet plate and have any helpful hints? They would be greatly appreciated.

Then I tried the "Flower Stitch Foot" that I bought a thousand years ago. I followed the instructions to the letter, watched several videos, but I could not get a nice 1/4" eyelet although the gauge was set at the smallest size. Anyone have any luck with making eyelets with this foot and any helpful hints? I appear to be "Eyelet Challenged."

TIA for any help.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:05 PM
Power Poster

sorry, i'm no help for you. My machine has a stitch that does mine. It's on the machine like all the other stitches.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

I would try heavy starch and/or a stabilizer.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I would try heavy starch and/or a stabilizer.
I agree. If you are just practicing and have nothing else available, I think even typing paper would work as a stabilizer.

Have you looked online? I found this short video tutorial:
http://www.sewingmachinesales.co.uk/...wing-plate.htm

The video does mention to use a stabilizer when hooping the fabric.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:09 PM
Power Poster

Hmmmm, ,my little janome MC4800 has a circle stitch. looks like an eyelet but isn't necessarily. sometimes the ending isn't even but i "tied" a quilt with them once.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:51 PM

Try using #49 stitch on your machine, use the single pattern [pink arrow to your left below the blue row of buttons]. Should work, I have a Pfaff 7570 machine.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:28 PM

Thanks, everyone, for your helpful hints. I did heavily starch the Lighted Christmas Wallhanging and used typ--, uh printer paper as a stabilizer. I hooped the fabric, and made all the adjustments per the instructions, and I watched as many of the videos I could find, but I just couldn't achieve a very nice looking eyelet with the Flower Stitch Foot nor the Pfaff Eyelet Plate...probably "operator error".

Pat M, I'm away from my Pfaff right now, but I think #49 is the eyelet stitch. This, too, I tried, but the opening wasn't big enough for the little Christmas light. So I may have to revert to hand buttonhole stitches around each light hole.

Again, thank you all for your help.