Alden sewing machine

Old 10-26-2016, 06:27 PM

Default Alden sewing machine

http://scraps2sew.blogspot.com/p/alden.html

need information on Aldensewing machine - how to thread oil
Old 10-27-2016, 03:13 AM

I couldn't find anything from a web search either. Does it say Japan on the badge? Japanese made machines were often sold under various names. Sewing machine is always based on a previous model, so keep an eye out for a similar looking machine and the manual for it will often be helpful.

That said, I would not wait for a manual to turn up; the holes on top are oil points, to begin with most of the job is about cleaning and detecting oil points. Place the machine on a few sheets of paper towels, and give these points a few drops of oil and turn the mechanism a bit. You can safely assume all holes are oil points, and if the center of the metal studs on top can be pushed down, they are probably oil points too, if not, they are just there to keep parts together

Take the face plate off, and all joints and hinges you see there needs oil, the same for the needle and presser bar shafts. Have it set for a wide zigag and turn the hand wheel, poke a bit at the swing arm and make sure you detect the spots where it needs oil. All part where metal runs agains metal needs oil; gears, hinges, levers, cam like parts,... There's lots of oil points under the base, look for small holes in the metal near joints and parts that turn. Parts that wiggle back and forth often have the oil points directly in the joints. Stitch length lever often runs in a groove, oil it. Try to ispect what happens on the back side of the levers; they always need a bit of attention.

Take off the needle plate and bobbin case, often you can take out the race and hook too. Clean best you can and oil these parts where the race runs against the other metal parts.

For threading; place a spool of thread on the right spool pin, aim for the tensioner, looking for hooks and loop along the way; make sure the thread goes between the tension disks; aim for the take up lever, keep loong for guides along the way; it looks like the thread goes along the side of the faceplate and towards the needle.

Try to observe which way the flat side of the needle was inserted; you might have to go by a trial and error approach, but the last thread guide on the neeedle bar should give you an idea how how it's threaded. I assume it takes 130 needles (a.k.a. 15x1, and 705), and the back of the needle is the flat side. The side of the needle with the longest groove is the front. On the older cast iron machines they usually have the flat side to the right or left and are threaded accordingly, but zigzaggers and later machines are usually threaded front to back.

I think the name is Alder? Keep oiling and running the machine daily the next week or two. Old oil, rust and grime will gradually dissolve and seep out of the joints. Wipe it off and apply new oil. Gradually the oil will stay clean and clear, but it can take quite a while. The best way to get a machine running again is to start using it, keep on oiling and cleaning diligently and tend to all the issues that turn up along the way.

Last edited by Mickey2; 10-27-2016 at 03:23 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:29 AM

I had an Alden 53 years ago. It was a gift from my DH for our first Christmas together. He bought it from Fingerhut and I believe it was actually made by Kenmore for Sears. I loved that little work horse and made all the kids clothes with it back in the day :-)
Old 10-27-2016, 04:30 AM
Power Poster

I have one of those. It seems to be patterned after a Necchi. Mine is a very wonderful machine. It was not in good shape when I got it. I'm not sure who made it. Jmiller posted on here about his Alden. You can go to the upper right of your screen and use search to find info on Alden or Alden's machines. here is one link: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t211869.html you will see jmiller a machine there.
Mine turns very freely. Every once in a while I run across a machine that turns that smoothly but rarely before it has been cleaned up.

Last edited by miriam; 10-27-2016 at 04:36 AM.