Luxuries -

Old 11-03-2016, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

Default Luxuries -

I don't think we were "poor" - our clothes were always clean and we always had enough to eat - but now, these are some things I consider "luxuries"

Having LOTS of bobbins

Having LOTS of thread

Having more than one pair of scissors

Anything that is comparatively inexpensive that you consider "living high" now that you have it?
Old 11-03-2016, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

All the things that save me time are my luxuries. Disposable dishes, K cups for coffee, detergent pods, disposable disinfectant wipes, anything disposable!
Old 11-03-2016, 02:14 PM

foaming soap....growing up and also when we were poor, we only used bar soap
Old 11-03-2016, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

he, he. my son just keeps saying "more scissors?" every time I unpack another one. (just moved)
Old 11-03-2016, 03:25 PM
Power Poster

we only used bar soap
I don't remember there being any other kind of bath soap when I was growing up. We always had Dial, Sweet Bouquet, and Ivory.

At last count I have 36 pair of scissors. All brands, all sizes, all types. Most were gifts!

Last edited by Onebyone; 11-03-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:50 PM
Power Poster

we only had bar soap. We were poor. Got most of our food from my moms friend. He husband owned a wrecking yard. He'd trade parts to the Sabrett guy and the Good humor icecream man. There were a lot of nights we had hotdogs and icecream. some days, icecream. My other friend, looking back, she was poor too, (16 kids), loved to come to my house and get icecream . All my cloths were hand me downs. Another of my moms friends had 6 boys and one girl. Wow, was she dressed well, and so was I. even my underwear was hand me down. Shoes too.

My aunt and God mother died, and left me with money to buy luxuries for myslef with. She didn't want anyone to know she left it to me. Wow, was that a shocker! Living in my condo with my husband and cat, and having my son have a well paying salary is luxury to me.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:40 PM

When I was a young kid, I thought we were poor. We always had food on the table, decent clothes (my mom made a lot of them and we did wear hand-me downs if they were still good and they fit) but my dad worked full time and was in college until I was 5. (We went to his graduation from Wichita State.) So we didn't have a lot of disposable income. One time when we were driving to visit my grandparents we stopped for a break and the waitress asked if we wanted anything and I said in a rather loud tone, "No, we're too poor." My parents wanted to leave me there. It wasn't until years later that they realized that overtime I asked for something, the response was, "No, we can't afford it."

Luxuries - I have more than my share. I have been very blessed.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:24 AM

We were poor, but they forgot to tell us. raised our own vegetables and meat, wore hand me downs, did not get inside plumbing until 1958. BUT, I always had food on the table, a bed to sleep in and a roof over my bed, and all the love I could handle. I did not realize how blessed I was until I got older. With each year, I appreciate my childhood more.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:35 AM

I can remember when my grandma would make me dresses out of feed sacks, and my friends didn't have any like mine. We lived in town, but my grandpa's sisters lived on farms, and grandpa would tell them to save enough for my dresses. They were originals!!! I remember my friends liked to eat at our house, roast beef, chicken, and all the trimmings, and they didn't have those foods at their houses. My grandma made soap in the cellar. Come to find out we weren't poor just frugal.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:58 AM

Small luxuries:
keeping the thermostat at 73 in the winter if I feel like it
whole peppercorns for grinding at time of use = "fancy pepper"
individual slices of cheesecake purchased at the in-store bakery of the grocery store
...and a thousand more which I am extremely thankful for every day!