Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sewing/Embroidery Machines - Which one?? >

Sewing/Embroidery Machines - Which one??

Sewing/Embroidery Machines - Which one??

Old 11-05-2016, 03:29 AM

Default Sewing/Embroidery Machines - Which one??

My 94 year mother wants to give me one (or both) of her sewing/embroidery machines. She hasn't used them in about 8-10 years, and I don't know anything about either.

One is a Brother PE-Design version 4.0, and the other is a Husqvarna Viking Designer I. Has anyone used either one of these and if so, your opinion? The only thing my mom can remember about them is that she paid more for the Husqvarna!

Thanks in advance for any insight!!
Old 11-05-2016, 04:43 AM

What you refer to is the PE Design version 4 software...which possibly came with the Bro ULT Pacesetter2001, or 2002. I'm not sure, but I think it also came with the Babylock's "E" machines...I have the Ellageo which came out about 2000. I know I have the ULT 2002 that came with the v4 software, and the ULT 2003 which was updated to include the version 5 software. The difference in the software is the reader--5 is connected via USB port, while version 4 has to connect to a parallel and serial port on computer. I'm referring to the card reader that comes w/the software.
If the Bro is the ULT, that would be my choice--they are wonderful machines, tho they only embroider by card or floppy disk--which is no prob for me. I LOVE my machines and they are work horses. The ULT has a large touch screen and very easy to operate. If you discover your mom has a ULT and you want more info, p.m. me and I'll get you started. All my machines are still chugging along and I wouldn't swap one of them for the latest model . The Husq Designer 1 may create some problems re the software and the later computers. Which, BTW, the PE Design software v4 or v5 must have 32 bit processor (computer, and v5 works in Win2000 up to Windows 7 ULT 32 bit. I've lost my security dongle for the ver. 4, but my computers no longer have parallel port anyway...the USB is acceptable.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:50 PM

I have a Designer I, purchased used from a dealer. Absolutely love, love, love it!! I have used it, others in our mission sewing group have used it, and a grchild used it (without permission) and I have never had a problem w it!
Old 11-06-2016, 02:45 AM
Administrator

take them both.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
take them both.

HA HA! I probably will end up doing that! I have the user guides, but just haven't had the opportunity to go through them and see which one will be more user-friendly.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:27 AM

Good to know! Thanks.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
What you refer to is the PE Design version 4 software...which possibly came with the Bro ULT Pacesetter2001, or 2002. I'm not sure, but I think it also came with the Babylock's "E" machines...I have the Ellageo which came out about 2000. I know I have the ULT 2002 that came with the v4 software, and the ULT 2003 which was updated to include the version 5 software. The difference in the software is the reader--5 is connected via USB port, while version 4 has to connect to a parallel and serial port on computer. I'm referring to the card reader that comes w/the software.
If the Bro is the ULT, that would be my choice--they are wonderful machines, tho they only embroider by card or floppy disk--which is no prob for me. I LOVE my machines and they are work horses. The ULT has a large touch screen and very easy to operate. If you discover your mom has a ULT and you want more info, p.m. me and I'll get you started. All my machines are still chugging along and I wouldn't swap one of them for the latest model . The Husq Designer 1 may create some problems re the software and the later computers. Which, BTW, the PE Design software v4 or v5 must have 32 bit processor (computer, and v5 works in Win2000 up to Windows 7 ULT 32 bit. I've lost my security dongle for the ver. 4, but my computers no longer have parallel port anyway...the USB is acceptable.

Thank you so much for your info. I use a Brother sewing machine and have never had an issue with it either. I will take you up on your kind offer of help! Right now, I am pretty pressed for time - we'll be moving back to Idaho in March which is when I hope to have more "me" time to be able to do some of the things that I've been itching to do!
Thanks, again!
Old 11-06-2016, 04:33 AM

Take them both and use them , the one you use the most keep. I think the brother is easer to use ??
Old 11-06-2016, 05:34 AM

I had my Viking Designer1 for 16 years with little trouble. If its the floppy disk one you'll have issues finding designs to use for embroidery. As to regular sewing, I used mine strictly for piecing as it has the pivot with the foot which I loved. When I took her in for her annual cleaning I went to piece with my Babylock and boy did I miss the "pivot" but I finally got used to it. My Designer1 never came home sadly as I traded her in for their fairly new EPIC machine. Stupidly I took a class on the EPIC and fell in love with it. They gave me such a great trade-in deal I couldn't pass it up so now someone else will get to sew on her one of these days. Luckily most of my extra hoops and feet will work on the EPIC so not a total loss on my end. As to the floppy disk designs I had for her I'm slowly transferring them onto my PC using an external floppy drive I have.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:42 AM
dms

I have a D1 and love it. I also have a diamond and love that. You won't be sorry.