Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Emergency Help needed.  It wasn't parchment paper it was adhesive >

Emergency Help needed. It wasn't parchment paper it was adhesive

Emergency Help needed. It wasn't parchment paper it was adhesive

Old 12-20-2016, 08:31 AM

Default Emergency Help needed. It wasn't parchment paper it was adhesive

I am engaged in a group project involving applique. Working with a project belonging to someone else I inadvertently picked up a piece of SoftFuse fusible web instead of parchment paper. The result is that I have stickum spread on the project. Is there ANY way of getting it off??? I don't even know what to do but cry. Please help.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:43 AM

I've never had fusible web on the top of my project before, but once I had issues with Pellon 805 not bonding properly because the client was decades off on dating her heirloom fabric & it turned out to be cotton/poly blend, which doesn't work well with 805. I contacted Pellon's help line & the lady suggested washing it multiple times in cold water & drying it. That dries out the glue so it isn't sticky anymore. But I don't know whether there was any visible residue left because it was on the wrong side of my fabric. Still, it might be worth a try.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:47 AM

Washing is not an option. Many different fabrics, fibers, and embellishments that are not water friendly on this one. I'm the last of 7 people who have worked on this project. It is due to be finished and turned in to its owner next week!

But calling the manufacturer is a great idea. I'm in panic mode here. Didn't think of that one. Duh!
Old 12-20-2016, 09:04 AM

I wish I knew or could see what you have...
I would call the manufacturer to see what to do.
Kirsten
Old 12-20-2016, 09:45 AM

The Pellon people were VERY nice. They suggested using dryer sheets pressed on well. Wait for them to cool. Them rip them off rapidly. DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME! The fibers are very loosely knit and disintegrated all over the piece--making it worse because now I had long fibers cemented in glue.

What I did do was to peel while it was still warm. Then, also whilst warm, take a small metal scraper, and while the goo was still hot gently scraped. This piled the goo and fiber combo into small pieces I could pick off when it was warm and while cool. PHEW! It is nearly perfect again. At least a few strategically placed appliques will cover that which is not perfect. Thanks for helping me through my panic attack.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Grammahunt View Post
The Pellon people were VERY nice. They suggested using dryer sheets pressed on well. Wait for them to cool. Them rip them off rapidly. DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME! The fibers are very loosely knit and disintegrated all over the piece--making it worse because now I had long fibers cemented in glue.

What I did do was to peel while it was still warm. Then, also whilst warm, take a small metal scraper, and while the goo was still hot gently scraped. This piled the goo and fiber combo into small pieces I could pick off when it was warm and while cool. PHEW! It is nearly perfect again. At least a few strategically placed appliques will cover that which is not perfect. Thanks for helping me through my panic attack.
Thank YOU for posting a solution!!!!!
Old 12-20-2016, 12:06 PM

I accidentally fused to the wrong side of fabric - but at least I realized it before I'd had the iron on it long. I also used my fingernails while it was warm (and using muslin over it to rewarm) until I had it off.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:15 PM

I feel your pain--it's not funny.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

I was going to suggest using a paper bag or brown paper for wrapping and place it on then hit it with a hot iron, like trying to remove wax from fibers. Glad you had a solution.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:43 PM

If it happen again, try goo-b-gone. Also,Grandmothers stain remover make a product that will remove it, sorry I can't think of the exact name but I am sure you could google it. This happened to a friend of mine on a large challenge quilt, she finally got it out.