Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guild Age Limit??? >

Guild Age Limit???

Guild Age Limit???

Old 01-21-2017, 09:05 AM

Default Guild Age Limit???

My guild is in the process of updating the bylaws that deal with membership and I was wondering if any of your guilds have an age limit for guild membership. We are trying to avoid having members bring young children/ teens to the meetings and sew days simply because they could not find a babysitter, which has started happening. Some members are very bothered by this and don't think it is appropriate for children to be at the meetings and fear it will become too disruptive.
Do any of your guilds' bylaws address this and state a minimum age for membership? Any comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-21-2017, 09:28 AM

It seems as though the age of members and the practice of bringing children to meetings are two different things. If so, your bylaws could target the prohibition of members' young children at meetings.
Or is your guild trying to exclude women who are in the child-rearing phase of their lives? Just not sure based on this thread's title of age limits. If someone had to be 40 to join, it wouldn't guarantee that they are past the child-rearing phase.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:32 AM

JenniePenny, heavens, no, we are not trying to exclude women of child bearing age! We just have a small room and are not equipped to have young children attend. Barely enough room for our members!
I see your point about it being two different things. Maybe I phrased the question wrong, we would like to pass on our skills to a younger generation, but an age limit of, say 18, as you have pointed out, would not solve the problem of having young children at the meetings.
Thank you so much for that perspective!

Last edited by lovelyl; 01-21-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:37 AM

Thanks Linda! That's what I was thinking - that it was just the "day-care" issue that is the problem.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

That is a tough one!

Depending on the group, some discussions are not appropriate for young ears - especially if it is a " stitch and vent" group.

If it is a "formal meeting" or lecture type class format, if the attendees (including the older members) can be non- disruptive, then i do not see a problem with very young being present.

I find the "old members" that insist on having private conversations xuring a meeting to be bothersome.

Maye an "etiquette" secrion could be added?

Last edited by bearisgray; 01-21-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:42 AM

Bearishgray, I had to laugh when I read your post! Yes, etiquette for the older members should be addressed!
Old 01-21-2017, 09:48 AM

I do not have a comment concerning a solution to your problem but rather a suggestion to writing the by laws. When writing up by laws it is best to be very candid concerning expectations from members, this will cut out those that tend to operate on the edge of the rules; in other words say what you mean and mean what you say. That will give perspective members no room for misinterpreting the rules.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:56 AM

I agree with dealing with the real problem which is disruptive children at meetings and workshops rather than skirting it and setting an age limit. Younger women are welcome but leave the kids at home. Some people have no boundaries and you have to lay out the rules very clearly and then STICK WITH THEM. Once you start saying "It's okay for so-and-so because she has a good reason" the rules go right out the door. It can be hard to be the bad guy and enforce the rules but it's got to be done.

If people don't want to follow the rules, you may have to have announcements about "no young children at meetings and workshops" for a couple months and then start turning those away with a kindly "I'm really sorry but we have announced it at the last few meetings that young children will not be allowed at meetings and workshops so we can't let you in". It won't be popular, but there it is.

I would actually lower the age limit from 18 to maybe 13 or 14 and then if those kids are disruptive deal with it on and one by one basis. There are lots of teenagers that could come to a meeting and enjoy it and maybe learn something. It might spark some interest in quilting with them.

Edit: I just thought of something. With as many grandparents as are raising the grandkids now, I'm not sure the age limit would work anyway.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:02 AM
Power Poster

Our guild has some grandkids come to meetings especially during the summer when grandma is taking care of the too young to stay home kids. It has never been a problem as so far all the kids stay entertained with a tablet to watch a movie or play a game off to themselves. So far all our members have sense enough to know how long the child can be asked to be still and patient and not get on others nerves.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:13 AM
RST

If you want to be welcoming and inclusive and still deal well with the kids underfoot problem, I suggest that you have a very clear statement -- "Because our meeting space is limited and we work with potentially dangerous tools, children may not be in the meeting space. Any child brought to the guild meetings will be supervised in a close-by playroom by a paid, certified childcare professional. Please sign up a week in advance for childcare. Day-of availability is not guaranteed and will be an increased cost. The cost per child will be X."

Or you could encourage parents of young kids to form childcare co-ops where they take turns watching kids.

Or if your guild wanted to do it, they could provide free childcare, with guild members taking turns and connecting with a new generation.

I think there are all kinds of ways to reach your goal -- appropriate environment for guild meetings-- without seeming unwelcoming or ageist.