Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unraveling after sewing >

Unraveling after sewing

Unraveling after sewing

Old 02-01-2017, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
I used one fabric in a quilt for my daughter that seemed inclined to fray when I was working with it. Later on, every seam with that fabric in it frayed past the seam line in the quilt and was a big mess! I had to hand sew repairs all over the quilt where that fabric was.
Luckily it was a quilt for family and not one that was gifted out!!! I would definitely either use fray stop or some other type of treatment on the edges, or I would iron it to a backing of some sort. In some places that fabric frayed out over 3/8".
Now if I have fabric that seems to fray, either I don't use it, or I seal the edges. By the way, my fabric was also cotton, but not tightly woven enough.
What happened to you is exactly what I'm worried about - fraying past the seam line after the quilt is finished.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:20 PM

For what it's worth, from all the suggestions and after watching the video I decided on the featherweight fusible interfacing made by Pellon. I've cut strips of it just a tad narrower than the 1/4" seams I'm using for piecing, and I'm applying the stuff to the seam allowances as I go. It's working beautifully even after I did a trial block and put it through the washer and dryer on my hottest settings. It isn't coming off even after picking at it with my fingernail pretty aggressively. Certainly no unraveling is taking place. Wouldn't work for a fabric that won't withstand a steam iron set on the normal cotton setting for 10 seconds, but the fabrics I'm using are all undergoing that just fine - I'm actually using a damp pressing cloth rather than the steam setting.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:50 AM
Power Poster

A fusible interfacing/ stabilizer will make those fabrics behave. Makes cutting easier and keeps the edges from fraying.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:57 AM

I think you will regret using the difficult fraying fabric, I would replace them with something that does not ravel.