Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Canadians ordering from Craftsy? >

Canadians ordering from Craftsy?

Canadians ordering from Craftsy?

Old 02-01-2017, 09:41 AM

Default Canadians ordering from Craftsy?

Hi there, I was wondering how many Canadians here ordered fabric etc from Craftsy and if you were charged any brokerage fees when it comes to you? I emailed them to ask what method they ship by and they said USPS and DHL but I've heard DHL can charge brokerage (on top of taxes and duties). Can anyone give me any insight?
Thanks!
Old 02-01-2017, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

Have never dealt with DHL but I know they often lose the hubs office payroll
Old 02-01-2017, 11:30 AM

ihave just had 2orders from them what you invoice says is what you pay
never been hit with extras shipping is very fast i am in canada
Gale
Old 02-01-2017, 12:14 PM

Craftsy charges you the taxes and duty, and pays them on your behalf, so there are no further brokerage fees. Brokerage is only charged when the shipper has to collect and remit your taxes and duty.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:55 PM

I've dealt with DHL with other companies and they have always been a great courier. I've never had to pay duties when coming from the States, Europe or Asia

Watson
Old 02-01-2017, 06:04 PM

I have not had to pay duty when receiving shipments from Craftsy, MSQC, Nancy's Notions or Connecting Threads.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:45 AM

The last order I had, Craftsy charged tax and it was sent via postal service, not delivery company. No extra charges. I had one instance that an order (cannot remember if it was Craftsy or another store) sent an order via delivery service and I was charged an extra fee. I made a point at that time, of always checking how the package will be delivered, before placing my order.

BTW, if you are ordering a kit from Craftsy, be aware that there will be NO extra fabric. If the kit says 1/2 yard, you will get 1/2 yard and not a thread more.

Also, when I picked up the order at the postal office, the lady behind the counter told me that taxes/duty are now routinely being collected on almost every order no matter how little it costs.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:00 AM

I don't live in Canada but I can say that since Craftsy started using DHL I believe it takes a lot longer to get what you order. I have to really want something to order from them because of this. Oh and BTW it's not like it only happened once, I can order from other companies and receive it in 3 days but not them.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts View Post
I don't live in Canada but I can say that since Craftsy started using DHL I believe it takes a lot longer to get what you order. I have to really want something to order from them because of this. Oh and BTW it's not like it only happened once, I can order from other companies and receive it in 3 days but not them.
i`m surprised you`ve had this experience
it usually takes a couple days tohit the border and a couple of days i have it
they give me an expected date but always get it early
Gale
Old 02-02-2017, 09:06 AM

Just to be clear - it's not who delivers the parcel that determines if there is an extra charge; it's whether the sender collects taxes and duty before sending it or not.

Craftsy, no matter who they ship by, adds on tax and duty to your order, so there will never be an extra amount due. Connecting Threads does the same. They remit this to the Canadian government on your behalf.

Other companies that do less business in Canada do not have a system in place to collect and remit taxes and duty to the Canadian government. They just send the parcel (by whatever carrier), and if it gets flagged when crossing the border, you will get a bill for taxes and duties, as well as a brokerage fee of $5-10.