Paying for crocheted items

Old 02-04-2017, 11:44 AM

Default Paying for crocheted items

Not sure this is the correct place to post but here goes. A relatives mother-in-law does beautiful crochet work. Her daughter has an exquisite crocheted table cloth and I want to ask if I could pay her mom to make me one. After suffering many inquiries as to whether I would hand piece and hand quilt a queen sized quilt for $100 I am hesitant to make the inquiry without a little knowledge. I'm not looking anything intricate or detailed. Can you guys give me an idea of what you'd charge for a 55 x 72" tablecloth. I don't want to insult her but do want to let her know I'm really serious about paying her for making me one.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

It probably depends to some extent on the size of the crochet thread used. Finer thread works up more slowly than thicker thread. I don't think anyone could pay me enough to make a 55 x 72" tablecloth out of crochet thread! But that's me.......

Edit: I know it's possible to purchase inexpensive hand crocheted tablecloths from China. Overstock sometimes carries them, and Etsy and eBay have some. Here is a vintage hand crocheted tablecloth I found on eBay for about $40 in the size you mentioned:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Hand...cAAOSw241Yi-Ig

Last edited by Prism99; 02-04-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:54 PM

I think I would have a conversation with daughter first. Maybe mom just does for "her own", or not interested in doing that project again for $ or not.....
Old 02-04-2017, 04:26 PM
Power Poster

Maybe mom would be interested in trading for a quilt made by you.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Maybe mom would be interested in trading for a quilt made by you.
That is a great idea!
Old 02-05-2017, 05:08 AM

Check Antique Malls or secondhand shops to get an idea of cost. You might even find one you like. Estate auctions are also a good place to search, I found one in a box of linens once at an auction.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

Hand crochet with crochet thread is very labor intensive. You have to count every stitch. I use to thread crochet doilies. and even at $3 per hour labor the cost would be outrageous for the item. I would never ask someone to do a large tablecloth for less then $500.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

I have to agree. When very small my grandmother taught my cousins and myself how to crochet. We all had a hand in making one tablecloth that was used for the holidays. It took all of us months of work with Grandma working on it in between. I also agree with Geri B maybe she only does for her own and doesn't like deadlines. I saw a tablecloth at an estate sale and a women said she would give them $5. They took it. I wanted to cry for the person who created that beautiful piece. It would've fit a table of 8 easily. I would've gladly paid more for it. There was not one hole in it.
Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Hand crochet with crochet thread is very labor intensive. You have to count every stitch. I use to thread crochet doilies. and even at $3 per hour labor the cost would be outrageous for the item. I would never ask someone to do a large tablecloth for less then $500.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:46 AM

Thank you guys for all the comments. Each one of them was helpful for me to make a decision. I think I will check Overstock and Ebay.
I went to visit my MIL last night and mentioned I'd love to pay this lady to make a tablecloth. My MIL has a wicked sense of humor and she said, "you can have the one on my dining room table when I die." I didn't even crack a smile when I replied, "could you give me a date on that?" DH just shook his head and told us we were both nuts. Her dining room is never used and it's so dark in there I'd never noticed the crocheted tablecloth!
Old 02-05-2017, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

ha, ha I love your MIL and you too!! hope you find a great one somewhere.