Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Black Fabric >

Black Fabric

Black Fabric

Old 02-10-2017, 01:31 AM

Default Black Fabric

Someone mentioned that black fabric can shred over time and is not as strong as other colors. Has anyone ever heard this? Is it the type/quality of the black fabric or all/most of them.

Any chance this was a problem several years ago, is no longer a problem? I have never heard of this before and see beautiful black quilts all the time. I'd love to make one, but am now concerned.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:37 AM
Power Poster

That's kind of a funny statement. There is a huge range of quality in cotton fabrics- some fray A Lot, some fall apart, some are so thin you can see through them, some are Great quality, regardless of color.
Ive made a dozen or so black quilts or quilts with black backings. One that is 17 years old now, used and laundered, started life as a young teens, now adult- still loves & uses, is still pretty nice. I've had quilts blue, red, orange, fabrics not so great, not hold up, fade, fibers separate. Had to remake or repair.
Quality ( or lack of) comes in all colors.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:05 AM

I agree with what ckcowl has written. I have very minimal experience with black though. But quality fabric comes in all colors/shades. So does poor quality fabric.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:40 AM

And there is black...dyed to be a true black...and there is "black" that is dyed using all of the leftover color pigments dumped into the vat. Looks black...but goes gray when put next to the formerly mentioned dyed Black . I use Maywoods' Black Magic and I have used Blank Quiltings' black Eclipse..which is also Michael Millers Jet Black. All...dyed to be a true black. I have noticed that the Maywood ..which is a quality Quilt Shop fabric ..does seem to fray some but the weight and color is awesome. Maybe it is the saturation of the pigment to fabric in order to get that yummy black throught out the fabric (It looks the same on both sides) may affect the threads? I dunno..and I don't care. I have a bolt of this in my sewing room at all times. Love it!

Stacie
Old 02-10-2017, 05:25 AM

I've made several black background as well as just black as part of the design and have never had that problem some are probably 10-12 years old. BTW the black fabric I used for the most part was Kona cottons.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:56 AM

I have an antique quilt and the black did spread...nothing else has. I am 75 years old and my great grandmother made it. I use black now and always buy quality fabric. I have had no problem over the years.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:36 AM

as ckcowl says ..there's varying degrees in fabric/dye quality. i like black. i buy moda black, a dyed black, by the bolt. my son's quilt is the oldest of my mostly black quilts @ over 25 yrs, and it's holding up extremely well. it's a favorite of his childrens' now & they take turns with it on their beds. no fraying, shedding, fading ..inspite of the exdil's excessive laundering. in fact the only thing showing issues with her incessant machine scrubbing is the embroidery starting to show wear and the hand quilting starting to have issues.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:43 AM

I was given some older black corduroy. I wanted to use it in a ragquilt with some white & gray so I washed it with some color catchers. It disintegrated! Just be careful when using old material.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:23 PM

I think many decades ago that black dye was set in a way that weakened the threads. But don't think it's an issue now. Black or any dark color, if allowed to be in the sunlight will show fading faster.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:59 PM
Power Poster

use a good black like Kona. it costs a bit more per yard, buy it on sale, and you'll be happy with it. good luck.