Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cheater cloth quilts >

Cheater cloth quilts

Cheater cloth quilts

Old 02-16-2017, 01:49 PM

Default Cheater cloth quilts

Quilting is a big tent encompassing a wide variety of styles, types, and skill levels. I have enjoyed most of them and felt pride in accomplishing something difficult successfully. With that said, recently I have been thinking that printed quilting patterns, sometimes known as cheater cloth might be something to consider for utilitarian bed quilts. I have friends who have completed quilts from this fabric and they turned out quite lovely. They were for married children who were going to use them as bed quilts and utilitarian quilts. It made me think I should abandon my elitist attitude that a quilt should be pieced, appliqued, or embroidered to qualify as a quilt. From the stand point of cost and time, it seems to make sense. What do you think about cheater cloth quilts?
Old 02-16-2017, 02:00 PM

Sure, why not? It depends on your use. If you want to create something, that's not the way to go. However, if you just want something to take to the beach, when why not?

My grandparents (and later, my parents) grew up in a rural area in the early 1900's without electricity. Heating was from a wood stove. One of the quilts that my grandmother made was what she called, "hunting" quilts. They were made from scraps of wool that were just sewn together randomly to make a top. The batting was cotton and had a cotton backing. They used these quilts when the men went hunting. They weren't pretty, but very utilitarian.

I would generally say that if it has a top, batting and backing and is somehow quilted, it's a quilt.

bkay
Old 02-16-2017, 02:18 PM

I have used cheater cloth to make a throw quilt and I loved it. I don't see anything wrong in using it. I also have made many pieced quilts from crib to king size. For me, what ever makes me happy at the time, go for it.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:44 PM
Banned

Not really any different than using panels, is it?
Old 02-16-2017, 02:44 PM

I see nothing wrong with cheater quilts.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:03 PM

Go for it! If you like the 'cheater' fabric, it's your quilt, your home, your friends, your family.

I have made many lap size quilts that just use a single piece of fabric with a border, and I love to use panels in quilts. So far no one has complained about them - or else no one has had the nerve to complain about them to me!

PS. Over the years I have only met one member of the quilt police - and she is ME, critiquing my own work.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:11 PM

Cheater quilts would be lovely to use when visiting my kids as they have very few extra full size blankets that will cover you for night time. hey why not> My grandkids are always dragging their favorite quilt behind them.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:13 PM

Just think of it as a whole-cloth quilt!
Old 02-16-2017, 03:14 PM

As long as you like the print, I think it's fine!

This reminds me... I think I heard of a company that will custom print cheater tops. I hate to call them "cheater" tops, because I think it's a great idea if your goal is to work on your quilting. Anyway, I think how it works is you design your top, using your own pattern and including your own fabric colour/design choices. Then they print it onto cotton, so you can quilt it. I will have to dig through my emails and see if I can find the name.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:47 PM

There is also a backing (cheater?) fabric that is pre-printed with an all over quilting design on it. Put those two together in a few minutes (ha ha) and you could have a quilt done in a day or two! It says the printing disappears in the wash.

http://www.keepsakequilting.com/drea...m_medium=email