Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How hard is it to get started quilting? >

How hard is it to get started quilting?

How hard is it to get started quilting?

Old 02-18-2017, 10:57 PM

Default How hard is it to get started quilting?

Hi all,
New to the forum, and to quilting in general.
I just had a question I've been discussing between myself and my wife that i was hoping to get a more expert opinion on.
How hard is it to get to the point quilting and sewing and embroidering where you can make some money? Not enough to live off or anything, more of a supplemental income type of thing.

I ask this because recently (about 2 months ago) my mother passed away, so we inherited all her possessions. Among those items are her sewing machine and all the material thats shes collected. It appears to be a nice enough machine, husqvarna viking designer diamond, and a bunch of accessories and fabric stuff.
We're currently in the middle of going through her items and selling some to help cover the funeral costs since she didnt have any burial insurance or anything. From what I've researched, the machine itself seems to go fairly regularly for 1500 plus on ebay. With the other items I figure I could get another 500+ from ebay sales. That 2000 total would definitely help with some expenses, but at the same time I'm planning on starting college again soon, which will take a few years. I plan on going full time and finding some way to make some money on the side, either a parttime job, or possibly quilting.

I imagine it would take quite a bit of time to get to the point where I know enough to be able to start producing halfway decent items.
How long do you think it would take to be able to make enough to be able to justify not just selling the machine?

Thanks for any all replies.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:23 PM

If you are just now learning to sew, it can take years to become proficient enough to make any money. In general people do not want to pay very much for home-made items. You will be competing with items made overseas. Also, if you want to sew custom items for people, then you will be at their mercy in what they expect and if you can deliver those expectations. Quite often on this board people want to know about setting up a booth at a craft fair and what sells - because it really does change from year to year and locations. Several years ago a friend of mine lived in the Portland area, she was making quillows and sold them for $60.00 at a local store that sold them on consignment. After the shop got its cut, then the cost of materials (fabric, thread, and batting) I think she told me she made about $10.00.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:27 AM
Gay

quiltingcandy is so correct. It is very difficult to sell any craft item and make a decent amount of money, and quilting is no different. People nearly pass out when they're told the cost of fabrics, batting and backing needed - before you even start cutting - so you won't have many customized quilts to make. It seems it's mostly the middle man who sells the stuff us home-crafters buy, who make the money.

With the embroidery machine, you may be able to make some items to sell at markets, babys' gear, dolls clothes, table runners, doileys (though I don't know if anyone buys them these days). I still love white linen like mum and her family used. But you will need to have a real interest in doing these things. The embroidery machine is a real learning curve for a non sewer, and if you need to create designs ( digitising) that's another issue altogether. Another thought - if you can learn how to put names etc on work shirts you may be able to create a small business there, those and monograms may be in demand depending on where you live.

You would benefit getting in touch with a store that sells your machine brand to get lessons on your machine, also the digitising program for the computer if they sell them. Perhaps your mum had one? Embroidery machines are a marvelous toy when you know how to use them.

I do wish you luck, and sorry for your loss.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:53 AM

First, so sorry for the loss of your Mother, I know this is a difficult time for you. I agree with quiltingcandy, it will take some time to become proficient enough to make items for sale. Like any other hobby, your skill level will depend on your ability and desire to learn, and time to practice, and practice, and practice some more. Other factors to consider is the market for handmade quilts and other items, it varies from area to area, competition from other quilters in your area, and your ability to produce items people are willing to buy. Making quilts and other handmade fabric items involves hours of time as well as materials and skill. If you plan to be a full time student, how much time are you able to invest in making quilts?
Not trying to discourage you, only suggesting that you look at the bigger picture of trying to make any money from quilting or sewing. I think you will find that most of the people on this forum, quilt/sew for the love of the process, the satisfaction of just working with fabric and thread, and creating something beautiful and/or functional for family, friends, or self.
Finally, I would also suggest you do a lot of research into quilting, the process and business of it, and how to make money from it. A google search would be a good start. If there is a local quilting guild in your area, you could contact them and see if they could help in any way. A quilt shop would also be a source of learning. Again a google search would be helpful. The local guild might also be a source to sell some of your mother's supplies, save on shipping, you could ask.
Wishing you the best of luck in the future.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:29 AM

Sorry about your mom. I don't sew to make money so I am not the one who can answer your question. If you think you would enjoy learning to use your mom's stuff that is justification enough for me for you to keep everything Plus I can see where your mother would smile looking down at you using her items

I completely understand if you could use the money from the sale of the items as well... but I don't know that selling could be done in a timely fashion. In my experience eBay is great for established sellers who have put in the time to build a customer base... I love buying from some of them But if a seller has no reviews and its their first items to sell... I won't ever buy from them (again - I had a bad experience in the past)

good luck
Old 02-19-2017, 07:10 AM

I'm very sorry about the death of your mother, but I have to agree with others on don't count on making enough money to supplement your income. People don't understand the time and cost that go into making a quilt or the likes. If you'd like to learn how to sew/quilt simply to learn something new, then I'm sure your mom would love to know that her "supplies" would go to a good "cause", otherwise I would just try either selling for what I could get or donate to a worthy charity.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

Learning curves are always dependent on the participants. I used to have a little sewing school. We had teens who made and sold their first quilts. We found a demand right away- summertime, touristy town, beach quilts that were fun to make so they made them in a few hours, an available long arm, simple quilting and they sold like hot cakes.

First, sit down with the machine and hopefully the the owners manual thread and some plain fabric. Learn the machine. Try out different stitches, techniques described in the manual and see if you enjoy the process.
Success is dependent on your enjoyment- desire to do it.
Then put together a simple patchwork quilt, maybe something you could use as a car quilt or picnic quilt. Start to finish - still enjoying the process? If so, jump in. Look around, see where there might be a demand...I don't know where you are but ( cowboy) seems like maybe western themes might be desired, or, going to college, dorm quilts are always in demand.
Do you have time to dedicate? After school, homework, family time. Do you have the discipline to spend ( down time) creating, instead of watching tv or veging out?
People ask my husband how it is I work full time, plus a second part time job and still create good, home cooked from scratch meals, keep up with the house and make many great quilts?...
he tells them I am always busy. I never just sit & do nothing. If I'm awake I'm doing something. Time management is important, organization is important, the desire is most important. Only you can answer your question.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:44 AM

I have to agree with most of the posters. Making money on hand sewn items is very hard to do. If you want to keep some of your mom's stuff, do it because it's what you want. If you need the money worse, sell them. It will take a while to get to where you are good enough at quilting to sell things and even then, the money isn't very good. If you want a job that you can make money while going to school, delivering pizzas can be very lucrative. Good luck.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:59 AM

If you really are interested in sewing I would keep the machine because you are not going to get what it's worth and if you really like quilting and sewing it's a big investment you don't have to make. I do agree about selling things you really have to know a lot about what sells and how to keep cost down
Old 02-19-2017, 08:05 AM

Thank you all very much for your replies and condolences. I was kind of afraid it might take more time than I have to learn it quick enough. She made a few quilts and things for my family and newborn, and I always thought they seemed pretty complicated. I think for now I'll just put off selling the machine and stuff unless money issues become a bit more pressing in the hopes that I'll get a chance to sit down and learn some things later. Like some of you mentioned, I think she would like the idea of her sewing equipment being put to use. Selling the stuff was one of the first things I thought of doing early on to try and cover some costs, but the more and more I spend time in the room she worked, the less I want to sell it.
Again, thanks for your replies, and I hope in the near future to be able to spend more time in these forums to learn somethings about quilting.