Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Embroidery topper stabilizer >

Embroidery topper stabilizer

Embroidery topper stabilizer

Old 03-03-2017, 11:50 AM

Default Embroidery topper stabilizer

I don't know if I dreamed this or not, but I need a product that I can put on top of my fabric to keep it from showing through on my embroidery design. The only thing I found is a product called stabilize it. The problem is my design is a bichon and the face and part of the back don't have any stitching there. The stabilize it says the stitches perforate the vinyl so it can tear away bi don't want to remove it, I want to leave it there so my bichon won't have a red or purple face depending on my fabric. Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 03-03-2017, 03:37 PM

Could you put a white piece of fabric on top of the fabric you are embroidering on? If the breed of dog is white, then this would show as "fur" when there aren't any stitches on it? Kind of like an applique thing? Depending on how dark the base fabric is and how light your applique fabric is, you may need to add a second layer, or a very light weight interfacing.
Also, you'd have to trim around the outer edges as well....
Old 03-03-2017, 04:51 PM

I was thinking about white fabric, but then I thought about minky. Think I'll try both tomorrow
Old 03-03-2017, 05:03 PM

The minky would be nice for texture, but I'm not too familiar with it for embroidery - would it be too thick?
Flannel would be a bit fuzzy, but you'd probably have to pre-wash it first.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:29 PM
Power Poster

i use Solvy, and it raises the threads so there is a some extra thread, try that, it washes away. let us know what you do.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:44 AM

It is called topping, you use it on top of terry fabric, fleece any time you need a design to stay on top, I even use it on monograms. I did see one where they used thin plastic, like Saran Wray and then just tore away the extra. I use Floriani but others sell it too. The topping, is a tear away, so you only tear away the area where there is not stitches.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:11 PM

It sounds to me like you will first need a white topper fabric so your main fabric doesn't show through the unstitched portions of your embroidery design. Then if you decide to use a fluffy white fabric like minky you'll need a tear away topper so your stitches won't sink and disappear into the minky. There are several things you could use as a topper. There's one that melts away with your iron, a tear away type and a wash away. You might want to try the saran wrap like suggested above on your test run over the minky if you don't have these topper stabilizers on hand.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:48 AM

Well, I tried fleece with solvy, it was ok, but I forgot to take into account the number of stitches in the design. Boy was it stiff. And now talking to the lady that wants this stuff last night, she wants to go a different direction entirely. So, I'll wait to see what she comes up with on her own. BTW, she is not a sewer or quilter so this should be interesting.