Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Mary Jo of Mary Jo's fabric off interstate 85 has passed >

Mary Jo of Mary Jo's fabric off interstate 85 has passed

Mary Jo of Mary Jo's fabric off interstate 85 has passed

Old 03-17-2017, 03:46 PM

Default Mary Jo of Mary Jo's fabric off interstate 85 has passed

I am sure where this should be posted, but I thought it should be posted for those of us where Mary Jo's is an institution. The email said she passed away March 16. She was 85. The service will be a private graveyard service.

It spoke of her starting the business when she was 19 with a yard of muslin and some scraps.

For those who have never been, the store in Gastonia NC has thousands of bolts. It's huge. She helped me with my first purchase of fabric. (No, that piece is not still in my stash. I do have several pieces in my stash that came from her store.) I had not seen her the last couple of times I was there, but I don't get that way often.

I think I'll pull some of fabric from Mary Jo's out tomorrow and work with them on National Quilt Day.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:07 PM

I don't know this store but berryberry, your last sentence is a lovely tribute to MaryJo.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:28 PM

Sorry to hear about her passing. I only got to go there once when I was working in the area, but it was so much fun. Wanted to go back, but not enough time. Hope the store will stay open.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:24 AM

According to the email, her children are running it. The store will stay open.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:45 AM

I loved the store when MJ was running it. Have been told that when her kids took over the store changed drastically--and not for the better as far as shoppers are concerned. Apparently prices have gone way up. I only got there once or twice a year. Wow, what a selection she had at fabulous prices. Time marches on but not always for the better--for us old timers anyway.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:39 AM

How sad of MJ's passing! I was planning a trip there again this Spring. New to the board and just read of her passing here. I was there 10 years ago and purchased several yards & bolts. I still have some. I knew within 10 years prices would increase a bit but still disheartening. Fabric has gotten so expensive everywhere as we all know. Just thankful her children could continue this amazing place.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:52 PM

I was there once years ago when we were visiting NC -- and MJ and I got to visiting and DH thought I would never leave (or was he concerned about the stack of fabric that I was gathering???)..... I remember her fondly.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:14 PM

So sorry of her passing. Did not know her but I heard of a lot of nice things about her. May God be with her family and friends during this time.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:48 PM

I was very saddened to get the email of her passing. Then I realized I hadn't seen her the last few times I had been in there. I live about 50 minutes away and don't go often, probably every other month. She was a very nice lady and I think everyone will miss her. What a legacy!
Old 03-30-2017, 12:33 AM

I was there once a decade ago when traveling through. What an awesome place! How amazing she must have been to have continued to work there at her age.