Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Machine - Which One? >

New Machine - Which One?

New Machine - Which One?

Old 04-01-2017, 04:01 PM

I'm with Jennifer. Recent Singers don't have a good reputation for quality. I do a lot of different types of sewing and like lots of features. I have an older Bernina that I used for all of that and my FMQ. I have a variety of vintage Singers (301a, Rocketeer and a Featherweight) that I use for piecing. Buying a sewing machine is really a personal choice. I would suggest going to looking at them and trying them out on your own fabrics to see how you like the way they sew.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:34 PM

I agree with PaperPrincess...make a list of the features your need/want in a machine. Let your fingers do some walking via Mr. Google to see what machines fit those parameters. Then go test drive the machines you think you want. If possible, take into consideration other types of sewing you may be interested in. I do piecing; home dec sewing; mending (sigh) and perhaps some garment sewing along the way. Each have different needs/desires.

If you just want a basic machine to get you started until you know what you really want, invest little and get a basic machine from Walmart or the like. Don't spend lots but make sure it's at least sturdy and not too finicky.

If you're of a mind - a vintage machine - Singer vintage in particular - are great starter machines. They are practically indestructible and sew beautifully. And very inexpensive from Craigslist or a thrift shop.

Get your feet wet and then upgrade when you have a better feel for what features you may want/need.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:22 PM

I strongly suggest looking at Baby Lock machines. I love my Baby Lock!! Make a list of all the features you want including a larger throat, needle up/down, needle threader, etc. If you plan on making your own labels make sure the machine has a memory setting so you can save whatever you want for your label so you don't have to continually redo the wording. My Baby Lock has a feature that lets you move the needle to the right or left just a titch at a time. My Elna does not have that feature & I'm really disappointed. Also a list of the feet that should come with the machine, etc. walking foot, 1/4" foot, etc. An extension table is a must unless you are also buying a cabinet for the machine.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:21 AM

I have an Elna but loved my Viking until it died. I would go with a machine that has service closeby, whatever the brand. Also test drive the machines until you're sure.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:23 AM

PaperPrincess made a good suggestion. I spent a bit more than I thought I could afford on my first machine in 2010 (Janome 6600 with a 9" throat, thread cutter, needle up/down, etc.) and so happy I did. It is still my favorite machine.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:29 AM

If you can go to different sewing machine stores, I highly suggest doing that. Some machines may not feel right to you. Also, ask about used machines. I've seen shops that will offer used machines with a warranty.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:44 AM

If you are uncertain and live in an area where some of the larger shows - sewing expo, AQS shows, Mancuso shows - those type shows. Go there. All the major brands will be set up with machines that you can test drive and then you will be able to look at several on the same day.

Personally, there are many great brands and I think over the years I've accumulated most of them. A bernina, viking, janome, brother and recently gave a vintage singer to my daughter.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:55 AM

I've never heard of Eversewn. Where does a person find that brand--box store, Amazon or dealership. As stated previously, make a list of the features you want and go shopping. Personally, I'd prefer buying from a dealer who will be responsible for maintenance and problem solving with the machine in time to come. Cheap sometimes really is cheap in quality as well as price. Not that I'm suggesting going overboard but do be careful.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
I've never heard of Eversewn. Where does a person find that brand--box store, Amazon or dealership. As stated previously, make a list of the features you want and go shopping. Personally, I'd prefer buying from a dealer who will be responsible for maintenance and problem solving with the machine in time to come. Cheap sometimes really is cheap in quality as well as price. Not that I'm suggesting going overboard but do be careful.
I got mine at a LQS but you can get them from Amazon and probably other online stores. I wanted to test drive mine first though. If you go to the Eversewn website, you can search for local stores that carry it.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:43 AM

I have a 9960 and love it. It has the features that I wanted at a reasonable price